My 18 x 32 design

Started by John_M, January 23, 2006, 12:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

I don't usually add much to discussions...still in the learning stages, but I am planning on breaking ground this spring down at my property in the Southern Tier of WNY.

Here is my initial floor plan.  

I am planning on using lots of ideas already used by many builder on this site.  

I will be going with 12' 2x6's for the framing, 2 x 10 rough cut beams at 32" oc for the loft with T & G 2 x 8's (from the local Amish lumber mill).

The roof will be a 12:12 pitch and the plan for now is two 4 foot dormers on the front.

Just basic needs on the inside.  My thought process was very open on the first floor and then sleeping upstairs.  

Plans also include an 8 foot shed roof extending the length of the cabin.  

Foundation is going to be a simple concrete block crawl space.

Hope to have pictures up of the site in early spring.

Thanks for everyones help (whether you realized you were helping or not!!)

I tried to post the image (I drew it on word).  It is a .doc file.

Can I post it somehow????
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Amanda_931

can you (file>save as>) in windows at least, as a .jpg?  

Then no problem.

John_M

I tried that.  I think what I might do is scan it and then try to post it as a .jpg

Hope to do that tonight!  

tjm73

If you email it to me, I can make it postable.

My work email has been PM'd to you.

I'm here till 5:30 EST.  Will take about 3 minutes to do.

All you do is open it full screen and hit control, alt, print screen.  then open MS paint and paste (control V).  Trim the non pictuer parts and then save as a .jpg.  open tinypic.com and host pic.  Copy img link from tinypic and post here.

John_M

Okay...I think I got it:

(image resized and loaded in with Tinypic, J. Raabe)

John Raabe

Played with the plan in 3DHA a bit.

Gives you a code min 8'x10' main level room. Bath isn't ideal. Kitchen works OK. Layout can probably be improved but this was about 15 min of playing around. (This is the free [$6 S/H] program in the tutorial.)

and interior perspective

None of us are as smart as all of us.

tjm73

That's a nice little layout.  8-)

I got the email.

Looks like you got it just fine.

If you have a non-jpeg or a picture that you want on your computer screen that you want, here's what you can do to get it into a format you can work with.  This will allow you to take and keep copyrighted images.  If you have issue with that, don't do it.  If you are only using it for research or demonstrational uses (non-commercial) I believe that academically accepted source acknowledgements are legally suficient, but I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

1.) With the image displayed on the screen, press (same time) control, alt and print screen.
2.) Open MS Paint
3.) Paste by pressing control V
4.) MS Paint may ask if you want the screen modified to fit.  Say yes.
5.) Trim any unneeded areas of the image
6.) Select Save As... and choose a name for the image.  Save it to where ever you want it saved.
7.) Now you can open the image in your picture program and resize it.
7A.) If, like me, you don't have a picture program you can use an internet baised service.  I recently found this one and it works pretty well.  http://www.resize2mail.com/
7B.) I'm told you can resize in MS paint by selecting Stretch/Skew, but I've not tried it.

John_M

Thanks John for the changes.  I guess I did not realize the minimum room size was code.  It is really more of a large closet, to store a few things and to perhaps hold a small water tank perhaps.  Does this make a difference.

Also, will the 12 foot walls make it look out of proportion??? (being only 18 feet wide?)

Daddymem

Try irfanview, it is free and you won't regret it...
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

bayview

Here is my two cents worth.

I narrowed to 16' and added an entry - utility room.  Only added about 30 sq ft on first floor.  Front and rear porchs will make the narrow - high home appear more pleasing.

Guest bath on main floor - Full bath on second floor.

16' span can be easily built without added foundation supports.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

John Raabe

Nice design bayviewps:

The popouts are a good idea and make the place look interesting from the outside. These might have lower pitch shed roofs of 8' span. The 16' wide can be spanned easily without an interior beam and could be built on a post & pier, crawlspace or slab.

And... you have gotten a 16' wide design that could actually work with a basement! No small feat! The stair could go down from the main level if desired.

Congrats! Good work!

John

PS - For a northern climate you might want to do a lexan roof on the sun porch to let light into what would ideally be the south facing wall. In 3DHA this plan could be easily flipped (mirrored) so that the kitchen is on the morning SE side. Doing that turns this into a little solar house. With an insulated slab for a heat sink it could have a pretty good solar flywheel.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

bayview

I appreciate your praise. . . But you and your site are to be complimented.  

My girlfriend and I built this garage last winter.  You and your members helped inspire
us.  Garage was 22 X 24 - Hardiplank Siding - 30 Year shingles.

Hopefully, we will start on our home next fall.

Updated this plan.  Living room furniture changed with open staircase.

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .