Our Homestead Project - One Story Ranch

Started by jhambley, January 22, 2013, 07:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhambley

Started this project the middle of November. A few weather delays but we're making slow but steady progress. Basically a 30 x 80 ranch on slab with 8 foot porches on front and back.

2" insulation on footers and under slab

2x6 exterior walls - 9' wall height

Front porch pour

Rear porch pour

Front porch - posts and headers

Rear porch framing

Lifting trusses

Porch rafters and overhangs

Decking and tar paper

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jhambley

We've had several comments on the "Barbie House Wrap"  :)

Planning to use open cell foam to insulate. 

Ndrmyr

I love porches.  The demise of the porch with the onset of urban sprawl was a detriment to community.  If there is anything better than sitting on a good porch when a summer thunderstorm rolls in on a hot summer evening bringing coolness and needed moisture?
Porches encourage family time and gracious conversation and appreciate of surroundings and, they seem to invite refreshing beverages. 
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

Ndrmyr

I know this, when my project is finished this year, I will turn to production of Adirondack Chairs.  As a large feller, I hold those plastic chairs in deep distrust and disdain.  It's hard to beat a sturdy Adirondack with wide arms for holding a drink, a book, a childs perch, or ease of rising.  Make just one, and people will fight over it.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

jhambley

We like the porches and the views they provide. The house is set on a hill top over looking a few miles of Kansas Prairie and farmland.

We finished framing the side porch and installed the doors and windows this week. Just waiting on the tin to arrive for the roof and siding.

jhambley

I received the first estimate back on the open cell insulation. $8,700.00  :o

Meeting with two other companies next week.

dablack

Quote from: OlJarhead on January 30, 2013, 08:30:00 PM
Great looking house!  BIG too!

I've been looking at closed cell foam and it is about $1/ board foot.  I don't know how much open cell is, but if you were doing closed cell and you house is 30x80 with a 9' wall, that works out to 1980 sq ft to insulate.  So, for 3" of closed cell foam, you are looking at $5940.  That isn't putting anything upstairs at all.  That is just your walls.  Also, I've only gotten prices around East Texas and OK.  It might be more expensive where you are.

By the way, the house looks great.  Really do like the porches.

Austin

jhambley

This company priced open cell at $1.40 per sq. ft. for 3" in walls and $1.80 per sq. ft. for 5" in ceilings.

I have two other companies coming out next week so I'll post those cost estimates as well.

dablack

Do you mind telling me why you are going with open cell instead of closed?  I will tell you that I'm focusing on closed cell because I'm also after air sealing ability.  I don't want the hot, wet summer air in my walls or living area. 

Also, with a 30x80 house, using the prices you quoted, it comes to $7092.  Must be a couple more fees in there. 

jhambley

QuoteDo you mind telling me why you are going with open cell instead of closed?

In Kansas we don't typically have the humidity you might have in parts of Texas. From what I've read, both open and closed cell will seal against air leakage but closed cell is also a vapor barrier. You could still use open cell in Texas but you would have to be sure you were mechanically removing moisture from the building with exhaust fans, air conditioning etc.

Next week I meet with guys that do both open and closed. One of them also does a hybrid system that has 1.5 inches of closed foam and then fiberglass behind that to fill the cavity. That gives you the best of both world. The "flash" coat of closed cell seals and provides a vapor barrier and the fiberglass provides a lower cost means of adding additional insulation in the cavity. IN my case I have 2x6 exterior walls which allow for 5.5" of insulation.

As far as cost, the core of my house is 30x80 but I have two additional wings which add an additional 128 sq feet along with an insulated attic room that will house my HVAC and hot water tank.

jhambley

jhambley

Plumbing and Electrical are roughed-in and the open cell foam was blown in Monday. Sheetrock/Tape and Bed start next week.

jhambley

View from my front porch

jhambley

We chose quarter sawn red oak for the cabinets. Very thankful we have a friend who is a cabinet maker. He's building my wife's dream kitchen for what we would pay for stock cabinets.

Kitchen sink cabinet with pull out trash bins and integrated cutting board. The cutting board will have a 4" round hole to allow the trimmings to fall into the composting bin below.

jhambley

Some CAD drawings of the kitchen cabinets

jhambley

Had the sheetrock hung yesterday. Starting tape and bed today.

Also had the septic inspected and set the water storage tank.

jhambley

jhambley

Here's a quick cell phone photo of the first application of acid stain. Hard to see all the marbling but I think it's going to work out very nicely. It has been very humid here this week so it's going to take awhile to dry even with the air conditioning running.

The stain is actually a mossy green color when applied but quickly reacts with the concrete (foams and smokes) and turns to the color shown (Cola).

jhambley

Thought I would share some more photos of the acid stained concrete. I still have to apply three coats of wax tomorrow.

Before

After

dablack

I used the same stain but then I made the mistake of trying to put a clear coat on it.  NO GOOD.  I should have done wax like you.

What kind of wax did you use and how did you apply it?

thanks
Austin

jhambley

I used all the Kemiko products...Acid Stain, Stone Sealer II , and Easy Shine Mop on Wax.

These photos are before I applied the wax. I'll try to get an updated photo as soon as we finish the third coat of wax. I'm just squirting on the liquid wax and using a Bona mop applicator pad to spread.

dablack

So the last shiney photo is with the stone sealler?

jhambley

Yes, that is the gloss stone sealer before wax.