Stair well question for 20x30 1.5 story

Started by beckhamk, August 21, 2011, 06:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckhamk

I would like to verify the stair well width and the open space dimesions between the stairs and the joists on the 20x30 1.5 story.

I see that the inside width between the double joists is 49.5in.  Am I correct in the open space between the stairs and the joist would be roughly 19.5 inches?

thanks,
Kyle

John Raabe

The loft framing plan on Sht 3 of the plans shows the opening for a beam and decking floor over the living area. If you were doing a drywall ceiling over that area you would continue the 2x12 joists over the same area. The framed opening is 49.5" by 67.5" or 75" inches depending on whether or not you have the 45ยบ riser at the center of the landing; the longer opening being for the square landing. This is for the steeper cottage stair shown in the plan.

See also the Alternative Cottage Stair (49.5" x 91") and the full sized "U" Stair (76.5" x 96.5") shown on page 3-20A in the included booklet.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

beckhamk

Thanks john - I see those measurements on the plan. I was referring to the open portion of the L shape landing.  IE: in dave and kims 1/2 story they placed a stove pipe up through this open area. That is the open area that I was wanting to get a measurement on or atleast how wide the stairs would be?

thanks again!

John Raabe

I see. Can you provide a link to the picture of that modification?

beckhamk

Well I dont think there was a modification, I beleive they just put their stove pipe through the opening.. take a look here: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=6311.msg116533#msg116533  scroll down and you will see what i am talking about.

But I am looking in your booklet on page: 3.20a  lower right. Looks like there is a 2x4 railing of sorts and then an open area between that the the double josit?

John Raabe

Yes, here is the stair and the class-1 insulated chimney using the same opening in the floor. Good solution for the right stove.

The sloped stair sidewall (using 2x3 studs) is shown in the photo and stair diagram.

Don_P

If this is a code area also check it's provisions.