20 x 32 1-1/2 Story in Palmer, Alaska

Started by Sourdo, July 29, 2010, 09:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sourdo

Howdy!

After mulling around for the last 4-5 years, traveling here and there, I decided to build a home. I retired 2 years ago from construction and really wasn't sure of where I wanted to live. I have been in Alaska for 'bout 32 years now.

But in the end Alaska won out. You can't beat the people or the country. I have owned for 17 years an acre of land with a mobile home. Well it's an old mobile home, pretty much shot and used up. When I came home in the spring I tore 1/2 of the trailer out, leaving enough to live in.

I have modified the "Cottage" to be 32 feet long vs. 30 ft. I have poured a foundation w/slab and 6 foot stem walls. The slab is within the footer giving me a minimum of 6 ft 8 in. of head room in the "basement". You can't have enough dry warm storage up here.

I have also decided to use 12 ft walls AND 12 ft of open cathedral ceiling. I have an idea to "connect" the walls in the great room to the collar ties with additional ties at a 45 deg angle. Should look nice and will be plenty strong. Also where the loft ends will be a 3 foot or so pony wall which will help tie in and brace things. Extensive use of anchor bolts and brackets for earthquake resistance will be used.

Anyway the foundation is done, the sub floor is going up right now. Next week I will back fill the foundation and then the walls will go up.

It's going a bit slow as I seem to be doing 90% of the work myself. I did all the dirt work and grading. I recruited some help for the concrete. I used the Quad-Lock icf's for the stem walls.

http://picasaweb.google.com/103330035472870302599/TheCottage?feat=directlink

I'll add to the picture album as things progress.

Russ

oblivionboyj

That looks great Russ!
Concrete has always been a bit of a mystery to me.
I am going to need to learn about mixing and laying it, as I am sure there is allot of it in my future.
A parking pad in my driveway comes to mind...
Keep the pictures coming, I am looking forward to watching your place come about  :)

astidham

You are off to a running start, Looks good!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

rdzone

Russ,

looks great so far.  I had planned on using ICF and doing the concrete work myself, but chickened out and had a block foundation done.  I am building a 2 story universal up at Big Lake.  The weather this summer has been miserable and slowed me down also.  I hope we get a sunny August so you can get things dried in before winter!
Chuck

Sourdo

;D

Today (Aug 1st) I finished the deck and basement stairs. It took me a week by myself. The rain held me up a bit too.

The next thing to do is to get a back hoe and back fill the foundation and order up the lumber for walls.

Here is the link for the photo album. 

Sourdo

Time sure flies when it comes to building a home! As long as the roof is on before the snow flies. I'm figuring mid Sept to have this roofed and windowed at the most.

But all is going along. The west wall is up, the east wall goes up tomorrow. I had the lumber yard bring out their squirt boom crane truck to lift the wall up, piece of cake. It was the safest way for such a tall wall.

So far I've managed the framing myself. A feat that won't last when it comes to the rafters and roof!

glenn kangiser

Looks good - ICF's are a decent way to go.  My cousin builds lots of them and I have worked on a couple.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwanders

Will you be framing your roof with a ridge beam?  I built a 24x34 in Willow with 12' walls and 12/12 pitch ----6x16x36' glulam ridge beam with 2x12 rafters with 4' eaves (5' on the run) to keep snow off cabin walls.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Sourdo

The plans do not call for a ridge beam. If this was any wider it would be required. I have decided to spend the extra dough and go 2x12 rafters the whole way. At the loft ceiling height rafter ties will be used. This will make a nice strong roof. No long eves though I see your point. You get much more snow up that way then where I'm at.

Yesterday (August 20) I finished raising the last exterior wall. I'll start the interior framing and loft today. Sometime next week I'll start on the roof, hallelujah! Everything is coming out nice and straight, square and plumb. Then most I've seen out is at most is 1/4 in! Anyway I'm pleased with the results so far.

It's been a wet one up here in Palmer this summer! Something like 31 days of rain...  However the last couple of days have been very nice and sunny, work is much more fun when the sun is shining. Speaking of sun, were losing it fast now! It's starting to get dark in the morning!!! Oh boy, here comes the fall. The leaves are already changing!

://picasaweb.google.com/103330035472870302599/TheCottage?feat=directlink

rwanders

:)  Looks like you are off to a great start----if you would like to see a little of what we built---do a search in owner projects for "1 1/2 story nearing completion in Alaska".  Can really recommend closed cell spray foam in ceiling----used R21 batts in walls and floor. Heat year round with 300 gallons fuel oil in TOYO Model 73 with heat down to 55 when not there.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

freezengirl

You look like you are off to a real good start. I enjoyed your pictures of the foundation going in especially as they answered some questions I had in my own mind.  [cool]

Sourdo

Summer is over up here in Alaska. The leaves are starting to drop, the days are cooling off, the night is returning. I'm making good progress but have been stymied by lack of help. Yesterday I had the brainstorm to post on Craig's List and within an hour had a fellow call. Hopefully he will work out to help get this roof on. Only so much a guy can do on his own! I had a kid helping from next door but he thought he was going to dictate when he was going to work or not. Well NOT it is... a jobs a job and you work when "el jefe" says to work! Not when you need a pack of smokes. I think I scared him when I showed him a pick and shovel.

ScottA

Looks like it's comming right along. I wish luck on the roof. I know how hard it can be.  ;)

Sourdo

Finally finished the roof yesterday. Sweet!!!

High winds have held up the roofing for several days. Now I can start working back down! Today should see the scaffolding coming down, then around the corner to finish the front gable end. I'm about out of energy on this project. As soon as the outside stuff is done I'm going somewhere with a warm beach and let my beat up and broken body heal up!!!

It's getting colder. This morning I have a heavy frost, about 25F. The first of the year for my place.

Pictures here- http://picasaweb.google.com/sourdo55/TheCottage?feat=directlink