Victoria Cottage at Lake Cushman, Washington

Started by CREATIVE1, February 01, 2008, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

I would like to get even, but have to put all my energies into making this work somehow.  Tune in tomorrow ???

MikeT

Is this an example of: You can get it good, fast, or cheap. Pick two.  ???

Seriously, is there a way to post the DWG file for some of us to look at?

MountainDon

If the software will allow saving a file in JPG form that would be easy. The other way would be to do a screen shot and save as a JPG image file.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Irfanview will allow viewing of DWG files with a added plugin. Then that image could be saved to JPG.

Works but not everyone has or knows how to do all that.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

gandalfthegrey

I have been using it since it first started.  Great software package.

You need to download both the OS and the Add-ins.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Bad Wolf

CREATIVE1

I guess I can try to copy the files somehow, or forward them to someone who knows how.  My client also put together a file of problems, making notes on his drawings.  I really can't figure all her drawings out,especially the overlay.  I was going to get another opinion before doing anything drastic.  My son is looking at everything tomorrow, and since he sounds 6'5" over the phone (he is), I'm going to let him talk to the guy.

By, the way, he wasn't cheap (that was the down payment), but he said he could have it done in two weeks. THAT WAS IN FEBRUARY.
He was also the only designer who didn't insist on copyrighting the plans and charging me for any changes down the line..

MikeT

Sorry about the flippant comment about good, fast, and cheap.  I would be happy to take a look at any files you care to share.  You can email me directly (I think my email is visible to registered folks) If not, send me a message through the countryplans email.

I wanted to have a good old architecture experience with my VC plans, so I took John's drawings, made a copy, then took trace and pens and went to it.  Then I taped those onto big sheets (seven instead of the original three) and made my sets for the plans folks. 

I know the AutoCad and other drawing program (home architect 3d, etc) are slick and interesting, and I have used them for a couple of smaller efforts over the years.  But even after taking my plans and inputting the stuff into a few programs, I found I had a much better sense of my project with the hand drawing. 

Enough of the ramble, I hope you get the plans you need in a format that helps you move forward.

mt

CREATIVE1

Thanks, Mike.  I'll get the files out in the morning.  Florida time!

MikeT

CREATIVE1

I sent you the DWG files.  Let me know if you also need the PDF's. 

CREATIVE1

Fired the designer.  Going to try to get my money back through Paypal.  Wish I could get back the lost time. 

Hired a client of mine in Florida.  Will be posting questions here if she has any.  Maybe SOON I can post some good news about my progress.  I feel like I have a big ol' rain cloud over my head. 

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CREATIVE1

An update, finally.  Have a draft of the plans, had concerns, asked some questions.  Got thoroughly dissed.  :( ( I'm not a professional, but I am a darn smart and experienced amateur, having built one house that I designed, with reverse cantilevers and other cool features, and even done a project in the historic district for a client that so impressed the City of Tampa that they wanted me to work with more.) I am also being told that my "crew" (years of experience, at least 15 each, all over the country) needs to be replaced by a "contractor" because the questions we're asking are just flat dumb, pretty much.  Let's just say my son better not run into her at Home Depot anytime soon.  Questions/concerns as follows, short list.

1. There is a general explanation of stair code, including spiral stairs and lots of stuff that doesn't apply, and a cross section of the house with the stairs, no measurements, but NO separate stair cross section, and a refusal to supply it.  Isn't this standard?  It's on all the plans I've purchased. I've emailed the Plans Examiner and hope he replies soon one way or the other.

2.  Joists for the second floor are mostly 6' x 8' beams up to 36 inches on center.  The floor joist written section just mentions standard joist sizes, and there is no cross section of the 2' x 6" flooring or mention of it anywhere on the plans.  Asked about this and got attitude.  Shouldn't schedules be specific to the plans, not some general engineering?

3.  Electrical plan shows heaters not in the main living space, even though I'm required to have them despite the woodstove which doesn't change the requirement for a whole house system.  Exhaust fans aren't shown in the bathrooms, laundry, and kitchen, and she says they aren't necessary because we have windows so she's not changing it.  I sent her Washington State code, which I'm pretty sure says we just flat need this.  She says electrician will work this out in the field--but why should it be wrong on the plans? 

4.  I know she's changed the engineering to account for her taste for lowered ceilings, and after a good fight will just have to deal with the engineer in Washington directly on these issues. Goodbye wide open spaces, maybe.

5.  Foundation--I don't have a plan of exactly what we intend to build.  Shouldn't I? The cross section shows the foundation dug out and the footers resting on that, with dirt piled up on the outside.  This isn't what I want.  I want the footer dug out only. We have no place to put the dirt, and can't easily haul it out.  She is saying that these are all things decided on site, and again criticized us for not understanding how to work with plans.   

There's lots of other stuff, but my main question is:  How would you go about getting her to change details if they hold up permitting?
By contract I've agreed to pay her in full when the plans are completed.  ???

BiggKidd

Creative1,

By contract I've agreed to pay her in full when the plans are completed. 

In my opinion the plans arn't done until you agree and sign off. They are working for you make them give you what you want or tell them you will take your work to some one else. I hate to say sue but thats the way todays world works >:( I hope you get this worked out.
It sounds like the person your working with is either new or set in bad ways.
Good luck.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

CREATIVE1

Set in bad ways.  Goes on the attack when she's questioned.  Not the way to do business.

By the way, we need more smileys, like one butting its head against the wall or hitting him/her self with a hammer.  Then I could add lots more of them to my posts----------

Ailsa C. Ek

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on April 23, 2008, 10:26:12 AM
By contract I've agreed to pay her in full when the plans are completed.  ???

Ghaaa.  I agree with the others.  The plans are completed when you say they're completed.  Taking perfectly good plans, turning them into a piece of carp, giving you attitude, and then presenting a bill isn't good enough.

MountainDon

Not to be a wet blanket, but how does the contract define completed?
If it doesn't that might be open to interpretation.

I would think reasonable middle ground would be, when the plans are accepted and approved by the building department having jurisdiction in the area the building is to be constructed.

CREATIVE1

It doesn't really specify what "completed" means, so I'm going to go forward as if it means successfully getting through permitting.  I have some advice here, and an attorney client who may be willing to escrow the money so that she doesn't try to go after me legally.

Got another lovely email in the meantime, part of which I've attached here.

Pat,

The problem is that you or Brian do not understand how to interpret blueprints.  But I do not have time to train you in understanding what needs to be on the drawings and how to interpret them.  The questions that are being asked are so basic that I am worried about Brian building this.

Yeah, I need this. 

CREATIVE1

It gets better.  With the plans almost done, she quit, citing all the questions and that it was just a draft, etc. etc.  Well, this is great.  I don't have time to start over.  Any ideas?  I have an "almost" set of plans needing engineering and some details.  By the way, she quit AFTER I told her there were no more questions or comments and please go ahead and finish (I really did say please).

I think the contract binds her to finishing the plans.  My husband wrote her an email that addresses this.  Tune in tomorrow.....

MountainDon

That's too bad.  :( 

When one party to a contract is crapping out on their end of the deal, the contract is then only as good as the amount of money the other party wants to throw at the lawyers.

You could try reasoning, or self filing in small claims court I suppose, if reason fails.

Bad deal all 'round.

CREATIVE1

You're right about that.  My only glimmer of hope here is that she sees from the email that we know the contract binds her and she sucks it up and gets it done.  In the meantime, I've contacted people I know in Mason County to see if someone there can step in.  Problem is, I only have draft plans and she hasn't provided the DWG or even PDF files.  They would have to be redrawn unless they could be scanned in.
So,
>:( :( ??? :-\ to say the least.

MountainDon

CREATIVE1

Quote from: MountainDon on April 23, 2008, 10:30:58 PM
...need a crossed fingers smiley. 

G/L

Great comment.  Keep that humor coming. [cool]

CREATIVE1

Update-----

Hey, maybe this isn't so bad.  I found an architectural firm in Washington who'll do this for a song IF I get the DWG/AutoCad files.  Trying to decide the best way to do this.