Wood Stoves for homes 1,000 sq feet and smaller

Started by Shawn B, July 25, 2010, 10:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Montgomery Ward wood cook stove I bought for $225

Firebox -- everywhere I look there are no signs of usage -- just signs of old age -- as if this stove was tucked away in a garage for 60 years and forgotten...and bumped now and then.

Now if I could learn something about this stove (like age and specs) that would be nice :)

considerations

Is there any possibility that your "water tank" is actually a wood box (the unburned wood)?

Looks nice and functional.  Won't keep a fire all night I think.

Shawn B

"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

Arlynn

Are there any smaller stoves that will burn all night?  We get tired of getting up at 2:30 - 3:00am to add more wood ;).  It's also awesome to not have to spend $500.00 in home heating fuel every winter which is why we do it!

We have a book, I think it's called, "Living homes"?  They show you how to build what they call a Russian furnace which is a fireplace and chimney in which the bricks are placed in a certain pattern that retains the heat for a long time.

We're seriously considering that.

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on August 09, 2010, 01:20:33 PM
Is there any possibility that your "water tank" is actually a wood box (the unburned wood)?

Looks nice and functional.  Won't keep a fire all night I think.

It's a water tank :)  I've been talking to folks that use them.

Won't use it for warming the cabin, that's what the Vermont Aspen is for :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: Arlynn on August 09, 2010, 02:14:49 PM
Are there any smaller stoves that will burn all night?  We get tired of getting up at 2:30 - 3:00am to add more wood ;).  It's also awesome to not have to spend $500.00 in home heating fuel every winter which is why we do it!

We have a book, I think it's called, "Living homes"?  They show you how to build what they call a Russian furnace which is a fireplace and chimney in which the bricks are placed in a certain pattern that retains the heat for a long time.

We're seriously considering that.

Not sure about smaller stoves but many of the newer stoves claim to run 9-12 hours or more if dampened down for the night.

When I lived in a small cabin many years ago and used only wood heat (that's all I had) I stoked it at 10PM before going to bed and had to get up at 3am every night to add a log and stoke it up again.  Never got it to burn more then 5 or 6 hours with the fuel I had.  But I got used to doing that in the winter...it was either that or freeze

considerations

In my prior house in Oregon I had a Quadrafire, the smallest they made at the time.  It burned warm all night.  So that's one more possibility to explore. 

The Navigator Sardine IS very small, like less than 1 cubic foot.  I think the only practical thing to burn in it will be coal, or charcoal, or briquettes.  The wood would have to be pretty tiny so likely wouldn't last long.

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on August 09, 2010, 09:52:54 PM
In my prior house in Oregon I had a Quadrafire, the smallest they made at the time.  It burned warm all night.  So that's one more possibility to explore. 

The Navigator Sardine IS very small, like less than 1 cubic foot.  I think the only practical thing to burn in it will be coal, or charcoal, or briquettes.  The wood would have to be pretty tiny so likely wouldn't last long.

I almost bought a quadrafire but went with a smaller stove because my experience has taught me that a 100,000BTU stove isn't really needed for a small cabin -- but some nights it sure was nice!

I think good insulation and windows along with good curtains and a porch can go a long way to reduce the need for a high output stove.

One note:  Our cabin stays cool until well into the afternoon without insulation in the summer -- I think that it's because of the location -- lots of shade in the early part of the day.  This may be something to think about (solar heat and environmental cooling).

Alan Gage

I've been very happy with my Englander 17-VL stove. Not the ridiculous price of many others but still a quality unit made in the US. The company has a great reputation and loyal following. Something to look into anyway.

Alan