Nail sequence

Started by firefox, October 24, 2007, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox

Hi All,
 Another couple of simple questions.
I am using two top plates for this simple garage rebuild.
do I nail the studs through the first top plate and then nail the top top plate
tothe bottom top plate?
 I had a little problem cutting the studs that interface to the purlins. Can I use shims to make up
the 1/8" or so gap, and if so what material should I use. Would a piece of aluminum be ok?

Tanks for all your help , this has got to be the nicest place to hang out that I have ever found.
Bruce

MountainDon

Re: Nailing the studs. When a wall is built flat and then raised the nails are driven through the plate into the stud end, 2 - 16D nails. Then when the wall is erected the top plate is nailed on top. 16D nail every 16".

Re: studs that are too short.  Hmmm. No way to shift the position of the purlin? Can you use those too short studs lengths somewhere else and cut new ones? Spacer should work; aluminum would need drilling holes, no?

Or nail a 2x4 spacer in, and then re-cut the stud to the shorter precise length.  ?

Thin plywood shims? If you don't need too many. Hobby stores sell thin plywood for model aircraft building.

glenn-k

Also the top plate is usually extended to lap the wall it is connecting to  - like a corner splice or intersecting wall splice.  Probably a better name for all of that, but I'm not PEG. ;D

MountainDon

Good point. The upper plate laps over the other wall, tieing the two together.

desdawg

QuoteAlso the top plate is usually extended to lap the wall it is connecting to  - like a corner splice or intersecting wall splice.  Probably a better name for all of that, but I'm not PEG. ;D
I have heard the overlap called "Log Cabining". Anyway it adds considerable strength when everything is tied together. As for studs being too short they are hard to stretch. If they are in a bearing wall best to replace them. 2X4's are easy to use up elsewhere for blocking or backing so they won't go to waste.

firefox

Thanks guys,
 That really helps a whole bunch!
Bruce

williet

QuoteAlso the top plate is usually extended to lap the wall it is connecting to  - like a corner splice or intersecting wall splice.  Probably a better name for all of that, but I'm not PEG. ;D
I have heard the overlap called "Log Cabining". Anyway it adds considerable strength when everything is tied together. As for studs being too short they are hard to stretch. If they are in a bearing wall best to replace them. 2X4's are easy to use up elsewhere for blocking or backing so they won't go to waste.

As a "green" carpenter's helper, the first day, I was sent to find a stud strecher.....it's been awhile, but maybe amazon would have one now! :o

Later as a chemical operator, I sent several "green" trainees to find me a bucket of inert gas...some tried! ;)

glenn-k

The tricks the old guys pull on the new guys. ::)

peg_688

As a "green" carpenter's helper, the first day, I was sent to find a stud strecher.....it's been awhile, but maybe amazon would have one now! :o

Later as a chemical operator, I sent several "green" trainees to find me a bucket of inert gas...some tried! ;)

I the USN avaition side of the house things recruits / new guys get sent for , are

Keys to the jets ::::::::::, they have no keys  ;D

Prop wash. :::::::::: For washing air craft.

BT punch:::::::   , sent down to the Snipe locker, below decks ,  where the red gang , Boiler Tech's = BT 's  work / hang out.

Chow line ::::::::::

And the ever popular ,::::::::: falopian tube.

Redoverfarm

Just my two cents worth on the cabin corners. They are commonly known as "lap joints" on the double plates at the corners. They are also used when you have a interior wall that is load bearing. The interior wall top plate extends onto the exterior wall single plate and then the double continues in both directions from that T intersection.

firefox

Right after ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) in the Corps
I was assigned to the 22nd Marines, I was shown to my barracks and the next day
a Corporal sent me out to get a squeegee shapner from the fire station.
I got half way out the screen door, and then realized I'd been had.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Okie_Bob

Anyone else recall sending guys to look for the 'smoking lamp'?
Geez, must be getting old.
Okie Bob

TheWire

If a whole wall of studs are too short, how about putting a thin layer of plywood between the top plate and the plate below it.  That would not affect the strength of the wall.  If its only some of the studs, I'm in agreement with replacing them and using them some where else.

desdawg

I was in a Marine Communication Shop on Okinawa. We got two supply guys to keep us in parts and materials. They drove all over the island in search of some frequency grease. It seems even the Air Force base was out of grease that day.  ::)
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

I have one, desdawg, but what some of my guys did to our guest worker - an ex-uncle, is almost too bad to tell here. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

How do you become an ex-uncle? I didn't know divorce was an option at that level of the family tree. Kinda like a cousin once removed. Removed how? No wonder I am anti-social. I don't understand the rules.
Boy, when a thread drifts around here it is kind of like the tsunami effect isn't it? We could land anywhere.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Was the ex-wifes uncle - and yes -- some of her relatives have invited me over no matter what.  I still get along with those of them who choose to talk to me.   :)  

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

Ex-wives I understand. They get the gold mine, I get the shaft.  ;)

glenn kangiser

We tried to work it out fair - wasn't too bad.  We agreed to disagree. :)

Redoverfarm

We get over it but it plays havoc with the kids. Been there done that.

glenn kangiser

Mine were pretty well grown up - but keeping it together was worse so only by stopping the misery could the getting better begin. :)

desdawg

It's never easy no matter how you slice it. But it seems to be a common social circumstance in todays society. It is a lot easier to say "I do" than it is to say "I'm done."

glenn kangiser

I think that a lot of it is caused by todays society circumstances.  The pressures of business, taxes, things and getting enough money to pay for it all especially when things have been going good then the economy falls in the crapper but the bills do not, can cause things to fall apart.  

The saying 'I'm done" and sticking with it was the hard part.  Promised my daughter that if things didn't get better I would put an end to it.  Ex-wife called a few months later and said I did the right thing.  Life is too short to continue in an environment that is destructive to both and no one is bending, just because it seems to be the right thing to do.  At the time it is happening you are seemingly blind to the problem and the cure.  When it is hopeless you have to move forward for the sake of all.  Note that our immediate families -while distant are now on good terms.  Two decent people can once again work on the pursuit of happiness. :)

Now -- about that nail sequence.... ;D

firefox

Yes, now, about that nail sequence! (Which is not to imply that I am unsympathetic to the
stuff you had to go through.)

First off I followed Don's advice and cut me some new studs, and I have already used up the
old ones for various things, so that was a win all around. Thanks Don!

And now for a brand new nail question....

When toenailing the studs to the bottom plate, what is the prefered way? Two nails on each side?
nails on the ends?

And for the pesky little cross pieces that go between the studs to keep them straight, and to use
for nailing the plywood to. How many nails and  where?

One last question on this theme, I have a header going over a window opening in the usual
manner. Where do the nails go to keep this puppy in place? I figure that it gets face nails going through the king stud into the end of the header which is a 4 x 6 I had extra.
I figure the studs on either side supporting the header get face nailed into the king stud,
but I figure I probably am missing a few someplace.

Thanks again for all your help. I may actually get this project finished........

I will also try to get some pictures if you all promise not to laugh.

Okinawa, now that is a sweet duty post! I actually sold some frequency grease to some idiot
running around looking for some. I don't think he ever realized what I actually sold him....
Just kidding.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824