Interesting PreFab

Started by StinkerBell, April 14, 2009, 07:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=18708410&GT1=35000

I found it interesting on many levels. In a few ways a reinvention of the single wide trailer. It has a very modern look to it. I like the second bedroom or bonus room that is not attached. I think it could be built a lot cheaper then the 100K they think they want to charge.

StinkerBell

pagan

Looks like a trailer designed in Denmark or Sweden. At $100,000 it's nothing I want, but then again I'm not the target consumer; "...younger and more affluent than traditional mobile-home buyers."

Give me wood.

StinkerBell

I think it could be stick built for a lot cheaper.

I do like the fun design.

pagan

It does have some nice elements and I liked the roof deck.

StinkerBell

I like the roof deck too!

I was thinking that makes a great second bedroom or office.
I might want to actually place a basement under it. Make a good root cellar and storage area.

pagan

Having the bedroom seperate from the rest of the house would make it much quieter.

StinkerBell

The good thing is that it could be done in stages. Have the main house done then when a person can they can do the out building.
I have a different spin on this design. Different roof line and such. The one I did (based on this inspiration) is 16x48 and the out building is 16x12 (may make it 16x14).

This is one of those plans I may break out the glue, cardboard and other fun things and actually do a model.

Curtis

For $100,000 you could build a better, more "green" home than that.

Besides, I don't think your average prefab home buyer could afford that.

I skimmed the article, and didn't see what made it a "green home", so to me it just looks like an expensive, flashy and modernized trailer that is trying to cash in on the growing "green market", without actually delivering much as far as performance goes.

Not to mention how weak of a building it looks. Its going to get blown away, smashed by a tree or something in high winds.

I could go on and on and on, I just really dislike (for the most part), today's "green industry", which in turn for the most part (not always), not very "Green", but using that label to sucker people into buying those products so they can act like they're saving the world.

Sorry, its early i've yet to have my morning tea.  d*
-Curtis

StinkerBell

I kind ignored the "green" claim.

I also agree that 100K is out of the price range of those who would look into a trailer to begin with.  I think it could be stick built for a lot less. Stick build does not lose value like a trailer.

pagan

Super insulated, energy efficient appliances and solar panels on the roof along with roof water collection. Enough to call it green, I guess.

Agreed, someone can make something very similar to this for cheaper.

BobHHowell

No days ... you could take a rusted out El Camino ... give it some "green" features and everybody swoons.  Its still an El Camino.  Its still a MO-Bile home.

considerations

Can I just have the El Camino......please?.....(1969 if ya got one  8)

StinkerBell

I knew I was not the only one who hijacked a thread! heh

ScottA

Nice Hijack. I hardly noticed. I'd rather have a Chevelle.

pagan

MountainDon

The best car of the 60's was the Austin Mini.

I know, heresy.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

Don_P

The negative must be backwards on that Austin car  ???
I hope to get the '35 dodge pup cruising again one day.
Been looking for inspiration for a mobile chicken coop this morning;
http://gypsywaggons.co.uk/varhistory.htm

MountainDon

It's a British right hand drive model.
The Volvo P122 behind it is left hand drive.
Club racing at a track in Canada.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.