14x24 framing question

Started by JStrobel, May 25, 2018, 10:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStrobel

Hello everyone, my wife and I are finally taking the steps to build our own home/farm/cabin etc. I will be doing most of the work myself, in coastal Georgia and have a question regarding an alternate framing technique. [img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4S7UEEVjTAZaGSk2[img]

Starting at the ground, I am considering digging 3ft down, pouring a 16x16x12 pad, letting that dry, pouring a sonitube pier up to a foot above grade, where I will attach a 6x6x16 with a proper anchor. My curiosity is wanting to know the disadvantage of using a pole barn style framing for the cabin. Where each 6x6 post will be solid from the pier to the top plate while letting in the rim joist etc so the exterior was flush for sheathing.

I feel like in a hurricane area, with corner bracing this would be a bullet proof diy design. One floor with open ceilings and a lower pitched roof. Thanks for any insight, I attached a picture of my thoughts, not sure if it can be viewed or not.

investfdc

Hello!! The second img needs to have the /img format. Have a great day!!

Don_P

That will work better than the pier, post, girder, platform frame setup we usually see here. Structurally the sonotube is still a problem rotationwise. Notice the diameter sonotubes that they use to simply support a light pole in a parking lot. The proper anchor here is not in a Simpson catalog to my knowledge, you're into a post frame base anchor. Running the posts down to the footing is another solution. The typical thinking problem is assuming the ground is rigid at ground line and that the dirt braces the piers firmly, and from ground line... none of that is actually so. At these loads it is closer to a hinge in a bowl of oatmeal. Of course a perimeter footing and foundation walls is going to solve those issues, at 14x24 this isn't much of a hardship. In true coastal construction deep pilings can provide the lateral and vertical support. Coastal construction is engineered construction, I've had a house at the coast hit by higher than design load winds in a hurricane, it took out every other building on that farm. Those storms will get worse, this isn't a place to guess.

Next challenge is the rim joist. A single rim isn't going to be large enough to support many floor joists unless the posts are fairly close together. A dutch style timberframe typically usef 6x6ish posts spaced on about 4' centers. That would be one way. Another would be to space wider and use heavy girder hangers rated for the loads using multi ply built up double or triple rims that can span further and support more. There are girder and header sizing tables in the codebook to help size those... hmmm, if they go down to that width, we might be into doing some beam sizing math.