painting the fascia 2x6 up 28 feet

Started by Dave Sparks, January 10, 2018, 03:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

I have to paint the house this year and I have (2) 28 foot peaks that I can't reach on either side about 3 feet.
The fascia 2x6 s are my last problem to solve. I want to keep one hand on the ladder.
Is there any one handed gizmos that could do this. They need to give me about 4 or 5 feet of length and be very simple this high up.

I have a ladder that has wide top points that allows it to sit off the siding 1.5 feet.

Anybody see something like this or solve the issue?

Happy New Year!
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

maybe some thing like this??  Depending on how good your free hand and arm are?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

DaveOrr

Duct tape your paint brush to a broom handle?   :)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Dave Sparks

Thanks guys! ! like Don's as the paint is already up with me in the air. I may pay someone if I chicken out...
We have fire insurance until July when the 300 billion loss from fires , mudslides and 3 hurricanes hit us all :(

A.O.

Painting contractor for 20+ years...

First suggestion, buy the right sized ladder.. those peaks will need paint again someday. Maybe try a rental place and rent one.

If Its just the fascia you need to do, you can always do it from the roof.

Long handled devises off a ladder aren't the best idea (off the roof either), that said they make a "hockey stick" , basically a brush on a stick, about 3' reach.

Been retired for a few years now but wont part with my ladders, got em up to 40 feet... people keep trying to buy em, but you just never know!

Dave Sparks

Thanks AO.  Appreciate it. The roof is a metal 6 in 12 so I never go up there. ;) I may buy the 20$ roller Don linked me with internal paint or use the hockey stick.

I went to Home Depot looking for the 1 foot stand-off for the top of the ladder to get me further off the building. I used one last time but can't find it. What do you think of them?

A.O.

Quote from: Dave Sparks on January 19, 2018, 12:42:33 PM
Thanks AO.  Appreciate it.
I went to Home Depot looking for the 1 foot stand-off for the top of the ladder to get me further off the building. I used one last time but can't find it. What do you think of them?

Ok I guess although I don't really see the point... painted for years and never used one.

Again, check with a local tool/equipment rental place, no moving parts probably cheap to rent for a day or two. right tool for the job makes things easier and safer!

And yeah metal roofs can be pretty slippery. I painted quite a few of them over the years.. fun job!

hpinson

When I used to paint houses as a teenager, I remember being way up on a ladder and disturbing a wasp nest that was hidden under the eve. That truly sucked.  Got stung several times but thank goodness did not fall off the ladder - it was a long way down. I've had a distaste for this sort of task ever since.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

A.O.

Quote from: MountainDon on January 19, 2018, 05:22:11 PM
We have a "Ladder-Max" that has proven handy a few times.

I think that corner one would come in handy, other than that, not so much. But that's me..

Dave Sparks

Thanks Don! That is sort of what I had... I will do some searching. The reason I need the stand-off is the roof comes over the walls more because,
you guessed it, we paid more to make the house harder to paint. :)  I thought there was an emoticon of a guy hitting his head with a hammer....

A.O.

You want the overhangs to protect the sidewalls from the elements...

Dave Sparks

Quote from: A.O. on January 20, 2018, 11:24:19 AM
You want the overhangs to protect the sidewalls from the elements...

Except when I have to paint :(

MushCreek

Having had a few episodes of vertigo in recent years, I don't do tall ladders anymore. I donated my 28' to my church so they (not me!) could clean the gutters. When I was building my house, I used scaffolding to do the high stuff. I bought a set, but you can rent them. I have 30" overhangs, which are hard to do from a ladder. It's a lot of extra work setting it up, but a lot safer. In fact, at this stage of my life, I'd probably rent an all-terrain man-lift...

I've resigned myself to the fact that when the house needs painting, I'll hire it out, or at least hire out the upper parts.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Dave Sparks

No room anymore for scaffolding due to gardener who seems to still love me d*
I will hire the spraying as there just is too much. I do have a hard point on each side to clip myself to but I do have to get up there to clip on ;)

Anybody have a good way to connect to a 1" eyebolt without actually going up to clip?

firefox

You might be able to jury rig a pole trimmer that has the extension.
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

A.O.

UK4X4

clipping on....karabiner lightly sellotape'd to a long pole, clip on and pull pole loose

I have a high peak on my UK house and usually use a ladder half way and a windsurfer mast with a roller on it.......its about 4 meters long....and stiff and light enough to paint a long way away !

Dave Sparks

The funny part about clipping on to the hard point was Firefox and UK4K4 reminded me of what I did 13 years ago. Maybe that is not funny now that I remembered. ???

Dave Sparks

I got a chance to use Don's suggestion the Ladder Max and the Werner easy clip.

The ladder max would be great if I needed to also get up on the roof. It has 19 inches of stand-off and gets you off the wall quite a bit. I thought I would need this but you have to remember the foot of the ladder goes out also and so there has to be ground clearance. In my case there was not in some places.

The Werner quick clip only has 10 inches of standoff and so it was better for me. I thought I would not be able to get to the eaves with it but I was wrong. It also is extremely easy to remove, lighter, and less than 1/2 the price of ladder Max.

They both made the ladder far more stable up 24 feet! They both spread the load out on the wall better to avoid cracking a fiber cement wall.

MountainDon