Cedar siding??

Started by 2zwudz, November 10, 2009, 06:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

For those who have used cedar siding... what is your opinion of it besides it looking so good? Does it require alot of maintenance to keep it looking good?  I know it is on the upper scale as far as price compared to other siding but is it worth it?

Thanks
Mark

jbos333

I don't know if this will help you or not, but my home has cedar shakes on it. When they were installed 35ish years ago, they were given a coat of linseed oil. That remained on them until last year. On one side of the house they had weathered to almost black in color. I used a stripping product to get all the old linseed off, then a cleaner/brightener. Very labor intensive! Then I stained with a Semi-transparent cedartone. Looks awesome! But the semi-trans stain only has a warrantee of 6 yrs. on siding. I'm not gonna be very happy if I have to do this all over in 6 yrs! Also, side note: DO NOT get the stripper product on your skin; I have several scars on both arms where it ate right in deep!

And lastly, if you have carpenter bees in your area, they LOVE cedar! I have lots of holes in my shakes from bees boring in, and from the woodpeckers that probe the wood to find them!