Water softner???

Started by 2zwudz, February 11, 2009, 09:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

We moved into our house a couple of years ago and have never had a water softner and now I am looking to buy a new one. I thought I would ask the guys and gals here for some advice. What would be a good size/ brand water softner for a family of five x two showers a day plus laundry and a dish washer. The one we have is as old as the house ( about 35 years old ) and I don't even know if its working properly due to the taste of the water. We do not have any literature on the one that we have so I don't know how to set it up or even how it is supposed to work I just know that it is old and our water does not taste good.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Okie_Bob

Mark, you do not need a water softener, you need a water filter and a good one at that. There are so many different types of water filtration it would be impossible to tell you which one to go with. If you want just drinking water, then you could just go with a basic replaceable filter in line at your sink. Or you could go all the way to a whole house filter and there are many types of these.
I would definately stay clear of the salesmen that come out and make all kinds of claims and want to charge you an arm and a leg for something you don't need.
I bought a whold house filter system over the internet and installed it myself. I'm sorry to say I don't recall the mfgr but, do recall there were several to chose from. Mine was around $700. It stands about 5' tall and maybe 10" diameter. It has a controller mounted on top of it and does a reverse flush every 5 days (setable). Mine is filled with a charcoal powder for filtration and we love it!!! It takes away all odors and taste leaving you with great tasting drinking water and coffee!!!
If you spend over $700 for the complete system, you are probably getting screwed. If the system you are looking at uses salt, it is a softener and not a filter system.
Hope that helps.
Okie Bob