Hemlock Board and Batten over OSB

Started by Ricky J, August 19, 2018, 12:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky J

I am putting hemlock board and batten on a cabin. It will be sheathed with OSB and tyvek. Suggestions for the placement of horizontal boards over the OSB and behind the board and batten.

akwoodchuck

Last one I did (green roughsawn spruce) we just ripped the 1x12s down to 3" for horizontal strapping....maybe 16" on center I wanna say? All galvanized ring shank fasteners, made the door, window, and corner trim extra deep, like 3+"....looked and worked great.
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Don_P

With full 1" thick boards I've gone as far as 4' when doing barns and outbuildings, top, middle, bottom, but that is a bit far. I was going to say 2' but 16" is fine too.

I don't like the critter crack that BnB leaves at the bottom edge between boards. This is how I do the bottom edge. A horizontal ~1x4 with a 15 degree bevel ripped on the upper edge then a 15 degree bevel on the bottoms of the boards. The batten will run to the bottom of the horizontal board. Casual observers don't see the bottom trim board but it blocks the gaps. The bevel directs any water that gets into that joint to the outside.

Some typical details; nail in the center of the board only, nails no more than 5" apart. Nail the batten through the gap between boards. This all allows the boards to shrink freely without splitting.

akwoodchuck

Nice, Don....what about doors/window tops?

Don_P

I've been lucky, I can't think of one where I wasn't under a pretty good overhang close enough to feel comfortable with trim and caulk. What have you done/seen?

akwoodchuck

Quote from: Don_P on August 21, 2018, 10:17:35 PM
What have you done/seen?

Everything under the sun, mostly ugly, lol....on our work doors are usually in sheltered spots, don't worry too much about vinyl windows, I consider them already as well flashed as necessary.  If it's a long exposed run without a good lap (belly bands, decks, etc.), we'll throw some metal flashing of one type or another at it.