Installing OSB subfloor as floor

Started by Raul Rivero, March 06, 2005, 03:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raul Rivero

I bought about 30 sheets of 19/32 tounge and groove OSB from Home Depot to use as a floor for a second story.  These sheets don't appear to carry a "brand" name.

Queston: do I need to glue the tongue and groove edges as well as where the OSB contacts the floor joists? Do I need to space T and G the tradtional 1/8th inch? How can I tell if this particular T and G is the self spacing type?

Many thanks for your answers

glenn kangiser

Not seeing the wood myself, all I can do is give you a couple things to look at.  The tongue and groove just need to fit together with no glue as they slip to allow for expansion and contraction due to moisture changes.  Spacing is usually printed on the board but if not , in general I just slip the t&g snug.  If pre-trimmed the sheets would be a little undersized so you could measure.  They should be 4'0" x 8'0" full coverage.  In the winter when cold and damp they should be at about their maximum size - so ends would be tighter.  Summer -hot and dry- ends would be looser.  Usually there are not real problems unless you get standing water from rain before you are dried in - then the surface gets rough - edges swell and may break as the sheets expand and force themselves together.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.