Temporary Housing in Garage

Started by FrankInWI, March 02, 2005, 03:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

I don't have the  funds to build my home on my country property yet.  We're staying in a "pop up" camper when we go up, and shut it down even before hunting season.  ??? I am scratching for a way to afford to put in the septic, and to build a garage to be sneakedly used for housing before I can put up the house in 3-4 years.  ::)
I'm thinking a tall garage, with a loft.  I couldn't get carried away with windows...it being a garage, but should be able to put a few nice big sliders on the south side.  ANY IDEAS OR RECOMMENDATIONS?? Sure would appreciate some thought provoking feedback.   :D
Oh yeh,  I think I'm hoping I can put a pivy on top of my "at grade" mound septic.  Otherwise the pop-up becomes the toilet!  :o
god helps those who help them selves

Shelley

It's a dry heat.  Right.

Amanda_931

Take a look at the Humanure Handbook (can be read free on-line here--or you could buy it in Korean):

http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure.html

Take a look at the Underground House book.  Glen on this list has one--check the list of recent topics for pictures.  And consider Mike Oehler's book.

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/

One of Rob Roy's original books was how to build without a mortgage.  He addresses the topic in a more recent one.  That I think I'll let you look up.

One big thing is, what are you going to do for money once you GET moved?  Do you have to have a job in town (land's cheap here, but jobs are kind of few and far between, unless you really love working as a logger or in a sawmill, and places where the situation is different tend to be 50 or a 100 miles away)?

At one stage (before I thought about tornadoes) I wondered if a tiny trailer under one of those $695 carports might work--collect rainwater off the carport, use a sawdust toilet.  

Even this might be better than the popup.
I'd guess you don't really HAVE to make it with cherry paneling.

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/teardrop_trailer1.htm

Amanda_931

Uh...what list am I on?   ::) Oh, yes, where there are plans for easy-to-build, put up in a couple of weeks if you have a clue what you are doing, retreat.  Pictures linked down a ways on the page.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/29.html

And Glen LIVES in his underground house.

JRR

We have a two-person building project going on.  Once the outside walls were framed and braced, the roof sheathing and roll roofing in place: we bought a 7' x 9' tent to use inside the on-going construction.   My wife's idea.
This has worked well for us.  The toilet was installed and made workable straight away ...( by pouring a bucket of water in the bowl).  
Now the exterior walls and windows are complete and we still use the tent.  It stays erected and zipped up when we are away.  Its easily moved if in the way of construction .. and has saved buckets of hotel fees.

Amanda_931

John Logan

Temporary Housing in Garage thread:

John Raabe had a plan that he was developing
a couple of years ago.  (Can't remember the
name of the cabin idea)

The idea was to set 10' posts, use trusses to
create roof, pour gravel for a floor to the
perirmeter of the roof line.

Build a little at a time, buy floor joist material
and store under - your now - open shed with
roof.  Build floor deck as time and money
permits.

Buy / store wall studs in the shed and build
walls......etc.....buy and build a little at a time.

His design/idea is somewhere way back in
the forum archive.

Build with cash a little at a time, creating a
dry storage area first, and "building" on it.

glenn kangiser

Hi Frank,

Are you in a permit required area or is it a place where if you don't tell they don't ask (Navy Policy) ;D

When I first started my place I had some plywood scraps and made an outhouse with no walls.  It was really enjoyable just to sit there under the big pine tree looking across all the valley below.  I guess that only works if you have more trees and mountain behind you.  :-[
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

hunter63

I know of several people did the same thing ,build a grarge, then " convert" it.

One had the garage doors w/dividing wall and a small "apartment".
So you can stay there and still store your 4-wheelers, etc. Now converted to a cabin.

Think they use a "Menards Kit", so the cost wasn't two bad.

Another guy bought farm land W/ barn, then built an "apartment' in one end, outside you couldn't tell what was in it.

As this was my plan also,I purchased plans for a 2/3  Clerestory Roof garage from  www.Garlinghouse.com
The number was 06008c on the invoice, but a search on their site come up empty.

I  got a cost on the computer at Menards for the framing, as I recall was about 10K for the shell 24x 36 plus loft.

Ended up buying an Amish built log cabin. Couple of Amish brothers in SW Wis both build them, as well as others in the area. 16X 40 w/ 8ft porch full length.
As there was no plumbing, elec, septic, yet, so got a building for a 16 x 40 ft "building."
On piers so is considered "portable"

Very happy with it so far.