Victoria's Cottage & Steep Stairs

Started by 2moms2ca, January 10, 2007, 02:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2moms2ca

I am obsessed with Victoria's Cottage. That is, I absolutely love it! I've read most of the posts I can find on it and I have a couple of questions.

One post mentioned the stairs and compliance in Canada. It sounded like the spiral was a no-go, which is fine. But, does anyone know if the "regular" stairs as shown on the plans (on the site) are acceptable? What about a gas fireplace, as shown in Victoria's Cottage photos? More to the point, has anyone in the forum built VC in Canada? I know that things vary wildly by province, community, etc., but just wondering if anyone out there has done so anywhere in Canada.

We're hoping to stick really close to the plans as drawn, with a few (what I hope are minor) exceptions. We'd like to make the rear porch more of a mudroom; that is, just include it in the foundation and have "real" walls. I just saw a post asking about extending the bedroom to add a closet. That's one of our concerns, but we also like the idea of wardrobes, etc.

I'm interested in hearing more on the above issues and anything else related to this fabulous design! Thanks!

John Raabe

The booklet that comes with the plans has an "L" shaped staircase with winders at the landing that several folks have pasted into their drawings. It meets most full sized stair requirements in the US and Canada (run it past the inspector first to be sure).

The gas fireplace (shown in the photos) is not drawn into the plans but can be added. Depending on the model you get it would have a small metal chimney or be vented out the back.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

2moms2ca

So, when you mention winder stairs, do you mean that it's too steep to go straight up?

Thanks! Looking forward to ordering the plans and moving forward!

John Raabe

Here is a picture of an "L" shaped stair with winders at the landing.

From this link in the forum: (Dorwin Cottage) http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1138909988

2moms2ca

Thanks. I'll take that to mean that, yes, it would be too steep to have them go straight up. Appreciate the photo!

John Raabe

There are lots of ways to do stairs and they always involve a trade-off for a small building. Here are the design basics of (most) stair codes:

- Max rise of 8", Min. run of 9", Max variation 3/8"
- Min. width 36"
- Min. headroom 6'- 8"

A straight run stair would usually need 14 risers and be 36" wide (inside) by 10' long and will need a 3' square landing at the top and bottom making it 16' long overall - too long to fit the width of a 16' (outside to outside) building. You could run such a stair along the sidewall, however.

Here is a sketch of the shape of a basic "L" stair with winders. Risers can be moved from one arm or the other as needed. It has been my experience that this shape often works best in smaller houses and can start at a sidewall and drop you off at the top near the center of the higher ceiling space above. A straight stair along the sidewall may need a dormer to have headroom at the top.

Hope this helps.

John_M

I decided on a set of winder stairs for my cabin.  The problem that arises is that code calls for a minimum tread width of 6 inches at the inside of the stair (the narrowest part).  So when you design your stairs, keep that in mind.

These took me a long time to figure out....but I had never built stairs before.  If you put your mind to it and willing to stare at it (no pun intended), you can do it!

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

2moms2ca

Dan

QuoteI decided on a set of winder stairs for my cabin.  The problem that arises is that code calls for a minimum tread width of 6 inches at the inside of the stair (the narrowest part).  So when you design your stairs, keep that in mind.

These took me a long time to figure out....but I had never built stairs before.  If you put your mind to it and willing to stare at it (no pun intended), you can do it!

Nice job on the stairs.  I have not sat down to figure my winders out yet, but I will make sure and keep your picture around for inspiration.  I remember seeing somewhere that the 6" was at such a dimension in from the inside edge, like 12" in or something, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

PEG688

Also keep in mind here all you have is two straight runs of stairs , those two winders can ,and could /  should be built as  #1: A rectangular platform ,with two (#2 & #3 winder steps)   wedge shaped ( well sort of wedge shaped) plywood boxes , the lower one  ,#2,   large enough so the 3rd one sits totally on it .

So break into manageable pieces , not a whole stair, fool your brain sort of , don't overload it.

Edited cuz I need a proof reader / editor so the words are clearer.  :-[ ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John_M

John Raabe

With a bit more research on the International Residential Code stair requirements, here is a better drawing of the winder stair.

This from an easy to understand PDF document: Visual Stair Building Code (IRC).

Here is a Somewhat Different interpretation.

Dan

Thanks John, good reference, I have saved a copy.  I prefer Knox County's version, but alas I am building in Chelan county.  I find it interesting that a spiral staircase has far laxer rules then they allow for winders.

2moms2ca

Thanks for all the info! Now, I'm curious. I was initally prompted to write bc another post made me think that spiral stairs weren't permitted in Canada - or at least not in this context. According to the IRC I would think they are okay. Anyone have any info on this you'd like to share? Cheers!

John_M

Spiral stairs are nice and compact, but try getting a mattress or dresser upstairs if that is your only way up!  

Just something to think about.

2moms2ca

Re: getting stuff up and down -

Yes, that's true. Our plan is to have one side be our son's sleeping loft and the other be the "play loft." Anything that (at this point anyway!) we would put up there can be easily assembled/disassembled.

Lots to consider - thanks, again, for the info!