Simpson Strong Ties

Started by wibekkah, September 06, 2006, 06:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wibekkah

I am living in Southeast Virginia and am building the 1 1/2 story house on a floating slab.  It's been awhile since we've made much progress but we will be ready to pour the slab by the end of the month.  I would like to use Simpson strong ties to tie the studs to the foundation, the better to withstand hurricanes.  I am just not sure which ones to use and they have so many!  There is no code requirement for the ties.  We have built a 24" concrete block stemwall using header blocks for the top row and plan to pour a 4" slab.  

Thanks,

Sasha

John Raabe

Sasha:

Depending on where your plate is and how it will be bolted into the foundation you can use a strap tie at the corners and perhaps other places where you will have double studs (at a door for instance). The LSTHD or STHD have a 21" strap that goes over the plywood and has lots of nails into an underlying double stud.

Also make a solid connection at the top of the wall where it meets the roof. Use an H2 or H2.5 to tie the rafters to the wall. In some places every other rafter is plenty of anchorage.

Here's a link to SIMPSON

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Miedrn

After looking at the Simpson site, even I understand it now! Ordering might be a little difficult but maybe a lumber company could help!

Interesting info about high wind areas. We have our share of storms and tornado's in Michigan. I'd feel safer with these.

glenn kangiser

Very interesting to watch a nurse taking on yet another education, miedrn.  Some women just can't get enough. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Miedrn

I find I have to study building far harder than I had to study nursing. Someday I hope it will all "click" and be easier to understand. It's easier now than when I first started reading but still not easy.

Hopefully that day will come when I'm actually putting the walls up!

wibekkah

Thanks, John.  Wish us luck.  We pour our slab on October 4th.

Sasha

Amanda_931

Have fun with the slab.

Learn lots (especially from other people's mistakes)!