Around the farm

Started by Redoverfarm, August 10, 2016, 05:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Wildlife can be fun to watch but when they become a nuisance something has to give. 

These were in the field in front of the house last week.

I didn't get a chance to see this one ( Bear   [shocked] ) but this is what he left at his last visit.  He has been here three times since Saturday night.  At first I had thought that my daughters pigs (mostly 250#) had just pushed against the fence and knocked over the feeder.  But I had the livestock panel attached with fence staples.  The feeder is strapped to that.  Today was rather mild.  On the two other occasions the bear had pulled on the panel and popped all the staples which enabled him to get into the feeder but mostly damaging the feeder and eating the pig feed.  Well I reinforced the wire panel with a piece of 2X oak which I screwed with 3-1/2" deck screws.  Well he didn't pull the panel off but managed to get into the feeder and tried to get it out of the pen.  This is getting a little old after having to repair the feeder and pen.   >:(  The authorities are going to issue me a permit to eliminate the culprit.

Gary O

nuthin' like a good rug to enhance the place

yeah, we plan on having venison this fall, since we've been fattening them up all summer on garden greens
...and even rhubarb for cryin' out loud
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Gary O on August 11, 2016, 06:26:15 AM
nuthin' like a good rug to enhance the place

yeah, we plan on having venison this fall, since we've been fattening them up all summer on garden greens
...and even rhubarb for cryin' out loud

They are lousy this year.  The population keeps increasing.  Last year a few miles from the house I believe they killed about 23 on permits for crop damage in the corn fields.  I never had problem in the past 8-10 years but this must be a farm raised one that likes Hog Feed. Every once in a while you will run across a rouge and lead poisoning is the only way to eliminate it.   ;D

Deer not too much of a problem.  The only thing I think that they don't like is Marigolds for some reason.

Waiting on the Natural Resources officer now to get the permit.  But that will not help a lot as I am not going to stay up all night waiting for it to come back.  It has been here the last 4 out of 5 nights.  Maybe I can persuade him to bring a culvert trap.

Redoverfarm

Breaking out the big guns.  Stay tuned.

Don_P

I like it, even has a picture so the bear knows its for bears only.
With that bore and length looks like it'll take a few cans of hairspray in the breech to get any distance out of him.

Listening to the autoharp competition at the fiddler's convention now. A friend from the top of the mountain should be coming up soon.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on August 11, 2016, 07:23:07 PM
I like it, even has a picture so the bear knows its for bears only.
With that bore and length looks like it'll take a few cans of hairspray in the breech to get any distance out of him.

Listening to the autoharp competition at the fiddler's convention now. A friend from the top of the mountain should be coming up soon.

Bacon, grease and doughnuts I hope will do the trick.  Will find out in the AM. BTW doesn't look like we will be making the trip down.  Too much stuff came up.  Isn't that always the case.  But my son is still planning on making a flying trip tomorrow evening for the weekend and picking with some from up this way.  In fact the 1st place fiddler and 1st place band members the last couple years.  Maybe next year if we can get our ducks in a row by then.

Don_P

I hear you on stuff coming up. A good buddy is failing, I've been sleeping downstairs and up with him most of the nights lately. I think they are here to help us remember what is important in life.

Is Steven parking lot pickin (for the uninitiated that is where the real action is) or are they taking to the stage? I'll listen for them if they are getting up there, Mud Hole Control? Unusual for fiddlers, it didn't rain last night  :D

There were 2 does and 2 fawns having a play date under an apple tree when I got home yesterday. Cute at that age, Michelle had to help one out of the garden a few weeks ago, it slipped under the fence and mama was not happy. I need one of those traps for the groundhog that's getting into the high tunnel. Judging from what he's consumed he must be about the size of a bear. There are one or two real electric fences around here that work for bears around bees, but very dangerous.

Redoverfarm

Zoey says it is in there.  Trapped door fell about 11:30PM.

Well she was right.  All 150-160# of it.

Now getting feeder repaired so life can get back to normal again.  Best part is the pigs were left unharmed.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on August 12, 2016, 06:06:55 AM

Is Steven parking lot pickin (for the uninitiated that is where the real action is) or are they taking to the stage? I'll listen for them if they are getting up there, Mud Hole Control? Unusual for fiddlers, it didn't rain last night  :D

He will be tent camping in the church lot just outside the main gate. He will not be playing on stage.  Would have to have missed another days work as the banjo competition is on Thursday.  Other members of the band couldn't make it to play in the band competition.  I imagine he will be playing with the others in his group playing inside the festival camping area. If you happen there just look for the largest crowd of onlookers.  They have a tendency to attract. He will probably only be joined by one other Mud Hole player and the rest will be Bing Brothers , Jake Krack and Bogtrotters ( your area band).  Worth just to listen. Amazing musicians.

Don_P

Hopefully that'll cure the bear problem  [cool]

I just realized, if Steven wants some different daytime entertainment tomorrow, Michelle is judging 4H produce from 10-12 tomorrow, livestock will follow. She needs to roll out of there right after her part and is heading down for farm tours in Carolina so will miss the livestock but it might be of interest to him. 58 west from Galax to Independence, at the light downtown at the old courthouse and farmers market lot (we only have 2 lites, one at the school and the one at hwy21) take 21 north ~15 miles to Elk Creek, about a mile past the Marathon is Bottomly's Evergreens, large metal building and lot on the right, should be full of trailers etc.  Looks like they have a good nite tonite too.

Don_P

We got the Galax paper today. I was sitting here just thumbing though and saw the list of winners. It started with old time fiddle and I recognized the name in first place... and second, third and fourth, those guys are good. So I looked over beside #1, that name is familiar, Marlington, WV. How about that.
So, I got curious and looked down the column of where the winners were from, and there it was again, second for old time band  [cool].

Michelle was chatting on the phone this morning with a friend, commiserating about the deer. She was saying "I'm looking at 3 does and 2 babies". I got her attention and pointed... "and a buck". They are becoming well fed front yard pets. Need to can a bunch of garden stuff that's been going into the freezers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on August 17, 2016, 08:01:33 PM
We got the Galax paper today. I was sitting here just thumbing though and saw the list of winners. It started with old time fiddle and I recognized the name in first place... and second, third and fourth, those guys are good. So I looked over beside #1, that name is familiar, Marlington, WV. How about that.
So, I got curious and looked down the column of where the winners were from, and there it was again, second for old time band  [cool].

Michelle was chatting on the phone this morning with a friend, commiserating about the deer. She was saying "I'm looking at 3 does and 2 babies". I got her attention and pointed... "and a buck". They are becoming well fed front yard pets. Need to can a bunch of garden stuff that's been going into the freezers.

Yep they are very good.  I have been after Steven to compete but he is just content on playing with the winners regularly.  I think he said it was about 4-5:00 AM when they hit the hay on both Friday & Saturday night.  Youth does have it's advantages.  Hopefully can get things in order for next year.  But that is a long way off now. 

Redoverfarm

Well with the removal of one in August I would like to think I have put a dent in the bear population.  But this week a few others proved me wrong.  These are four separate ones caught on camera behind the barn.

Then just a couple miles from the house one tried to become a hood ornament on my wifes car last night.  Not really any size maybe 100# but too big for an ornament. ;)