Thoughts on buying a new pistol

Started by Barry Broome, May 12, 2013, 04:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Broome

About 15 years ago I bought a Glock .40 cal as the only pistol I thought I'd ever need. I was in my early 20's and liked the idea of owning the 'best pistol in the world'.

Wow... what a beauty... I thought it would be the pistol I'd keep the rest of my life!  [cool]

Well... now that I'm older... and haven't been in any shootouts at the gas station or anything... I'm starting to think more realistically about defense, but also, what type of gun I'd really like to have.

I recently thought about the 410 gauge pistol. Just a couple of shots from the 410. It would likely scare the hell out of anybody without doing any permanent damage. I really don't want to hurt anyone unless it's the only way to defend myself. But the fact is that crime is now rising in our communities here in Mississippi. As a result I've given this issue more than I did as a younger man in my twenties.

When it comes to personal defense I still like the ideal of the 410 pistol. I think it also shoots 45 or something. But if I ever have to fire on another human I'd prefer to wound and let them heal... than to kill.

The other pistols I like are the 1870 type reproductions. I like the ole time single action revolvers and am interested in getting one of those. Our local Gander Mountain has a wide variety of these pistols made by Uberti.... some South American company I believe.

I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this?

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Abbey

Sig P220 .45 cal. for me, when I have the money to spare so right now it's the old Beretta 92F in 9 mm, but then I've always been partial to the semi-auto.

As for the reproductions, how is the construction? If they're cheap, maybe stay away.

OlJarhead

Shooting to wound is asking to die.

There are some recent vids out of police shootouts in which the bad guy is wounded and continues to shoot back.  They fire round after round to try to stop him....they get hurt, often badly....is this what you want?

If someone means me harm, as a marine and veteran I have no intention of wounding them but every intention of stopping them and experience has taught me that someone who's dead cannot shoot back.

Don't be silly.

Abbey

Not mention if you shoot to wound you might end up having a law suit on your hands from your "victim."

Squirl

A victim can still sue even if killed "The estate of X v. Barry Broome."

Every state has different laws, but my general understanding is if you have the right to use lethal force, the law differentiates little upon the outcome or intent.

I was always taught never to point a gun at a person if you aren't willing to take their life.

That's my two pennies worth.

Abbey

Squirl,

The problem is between criminal and civil prosecutions. Although there may be no criminal charges brought by a DA you could still face a civil prosecution by an attorney representing the family of your so called victim. Then we get into issues of wrongful death where the attorney will argue that you could have easily shot the person in the arm or leg to stop him or her, or you could have simply run for your life. A jury filled with dipsticks goes along with the attorney and you're facing a massive payout to the family of your "victim." Even if you're cleared in civil court you're still going to pay a lot of money to your attorney for defending you.

My training was never pull out your weapon unless you intend to use it, and never use it unless you're prepared to take a life. "Draw and fire without hesitation."

Carla_M

Don't carry a gun for self defense if you can not bear the thought of perhaps killing someone with it, IMO. But, in places where you can open carry, a gun could very well be a great deterrent to crime against your person. Then again a hollow threat may not serve you well. Research the local and state laws and search your conscience.

That looks like a Taurus Judge. They also shoot a 45LC round. I have fired them and they are not all that accurate with the 45LC load and about what you'd expect with shot. I have not fired one since before the various special loads were developed with that gun in mind.

Are you looking for a concealed carry or open carry or something for the coffee table drawer or what?

It's my belief that some small and easily carried firearm like a 9mm or a .380 semi automatic can be more valuable than a larger gun that may not be carried as readily or as often. The Taurus is not all that small or light. 2 lbs + loaded. I do love my little Kel-Tec P3-AT. It is a go anywhere sort of thing.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Kel-Tec&mdl=P-3AT&cat=All&type=Semi-Automatic+Pistol&cal=380&fin=&sit=&zipcode=87124

For open carry almost anything you can shoot well will do and there are many favorites. Some even deserve to be favorites.
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

OlJarhead

.380/38spc/9mm are all calibers I won't carry regardless of size or accuracy.  If I'm going to carry a 38 I'll carry the .357magnum which can be had in a very small and light detectives special type revolver but I don't carry that either.

.45ACP has proven itself time and again and comes in carry sizes (for those who want something smaller/lighter) or the good old standard 1911 frame.  Personally I carry a Kimber Custom TLE II and after thousands of rounds the only thing failing now is my eyesight which makes lining up the sites for shots over 15 yards difficult.  At home I keep a magazine loaded with blue Glazier Safety Slugs...out and about I have those as well as 230 grain Hydrashocks or Hornady's 230 grain XTP's.

In the woods I carry my Ruger Vaquero in .45COLT loaded with 360 grain Oregon Trail 'Silver Tips' with 19.5 grains of WIN296 behind them and CCI 350 Magnum Primers.  I don't need to line the sights up on it either as I can hit a bear sized object at 10 yards from the hip off the draw -- I've also put thousands of rounds through it.

Carla_M

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 13, 2013, 05:25:09 PM
.380/38spc/9mm are all calibers I won't carry regardless of size or accuracy.  If I'm going to carry a 38 I'll carry the .357magnum which can be had in a very small and light detectives special type revolver but I don't carry that either.

Ask 6 people for an opinion on this and you get ten or more answers as a rule. :D

A 45 is a fine caliber. If the person holding it can accurately use it. I can not past the first shot. I own one that I inherited. That's the only reason I keep it, it came from someone special. I've said before and believe it is true; the best gun to carry is the one you can consistently use to hit the target and get it done quickly. Not all of us who like to shoot, who carry open or CCW are big husky macho men with arms like tree stumps that can absorb the recoil.
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

OlJarhead

My wife couldn't shoot the .45 either....then after much use of her .357 and a lot of .38spc she tried it again and had no problem at all.

Of course her husband who was a PMI in the Corps might have helped ;)

While it is true that some people cannot handle the recoil of a .45acp they can choose options other then it which work well. 

Now, how many understand what happens when adrenalin is flowing?  When I am at the range sighting in my 7mm Remington Magnum I sometimes ask myself: "Why do you punish yourself so?"....and then I shoot a deer and wonder "where was the recoil"? and I wasn't even feeling any effect of adrenalin!

My point being that while you are at the range what you shoot comfortably is not the same as when your life is on the line (when it really counts) and while I do adhere to 'train as you fight' I like to emphasize that when it counts even the most frail person can fire just about anything.

So, the point?  Find a way to train with the more powerful option to familiarize yourself with it and do your best to learn proper firearms techniques so as to mitigate recoil.  Learn a good modified Weaver stance and work on preventing wrist flip with less powerful rounds and graduate to the bigger rounds as time progresses.  I started my wife on 38spc and graduated her to .357mag after which the recoil of my .45 COLT and .45ACP were really not a problem at all (the .357 mag produces more energy then the .45ACP and a snappier recoil).

Anyway, even a .22LR pistol in the right hands can do much to stop someone but never assume that because you have a popular caliber (meaning 9mm or .380) that it's really enough....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/miami-drug-bust-shootout-caught-video-article-1.1340402
Bear in mind that these policemen were all armed well and there were several of them...clearly bringing more gun is a good thing!!!

Barry Broome

There's a lot to be said about training. Many people packing pistols have no training whatsoever. There's a lot of folks (not me  :)) who are just as likely to shoot themselves or a bystander in a 'public shootout'.

When it comes to home safety I believe that simpler is better. That's why I like a revolver or a shotgun for home security. I'd much rather grab the double barrel 12 guage then one of my semi-autos.

My father got a pistol recently and wants to carry it in his jacket pocket. I told him to get a revolver. He came back with a 380 semi auto. I told him he was more likely to shoot himself with that thing than the attacker.

The outcome of a shooting depends heavily on the will power and experience of the would-be victim.
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Abbey

This all boils down to training, people underestimate the surge of adrenaline and accidently shoot themselves because they've got their fingers on the triggers while drawing their weapons. I could go on but I feel I'm preaching to the choir.

Caliber is as much a personal choice as revolver versus auto, or even manufacturer. I have a friend who's got a crazy love affair with Glocks. A lot of people are down on the 9 mm, and though their arguments are valid and hold truth with 1 round chambered I'm carrying 16 rounds in my Beretta and I can place every round on target with great accuracy and amazing speed. In close quarters I have no doubt of my ability to place 6 or 7 rounds in an extremely tight group anywhere on the human body I desire in about 4 seconds. It also helps that I trained with Dan the Man, who was a professional match shooter.

The reality is that it's highly unlikely any of us will ever be in a situation where we'll have to find out if we have what it takes. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Huge29

The Judges are pretty well known for very poor accuracy with any distance at all, which may be ok as combat may be very close, but anything more than about 10' is apparently beyond the limits of the Judge, just from what I have read; I don't have any personal experience with them.