Sources for good garage plans

Started by Charcoals, September 22, 2010, 05:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charcoals

I'm looking for plans for a 24X24 two-car garage.  This will be simply a garage--with electricity but no plumbing and no living space--with poured foundations and a slab floor on grade.  The reason I'm asking here is that the sources I've found for garage plans seem way overpriced, especially when one considers how simple the framing is for such a structure.  Perhaps I was spoiled in purchasing John's plans for the two-story universal cottage.  There, I definitely felt I got my money's worth!

I've also thought of just asking a local architect to draw up a simple plan, but I doubt that will be cheap.  Regardless, I just need something that will make the building permit folks and the inspector happy.

So the long and short of this is to ask whether anyone can point me to good, reasonably-priced plans for such a garage.  Or maybe I could just draw up the plans myself, given the simplicity of the structure?

Thanks in advance.

MountainDon

Does your building dept allow you to submit owner drawn plans?  There are a ferw places that call for architect/engineers stamps.

If they allow owner builder drawn plans you can do a garage yourself. If you use trusses for the roof the truss company will supply the roof details.

The perimeter foundation will depend on local frost depth requirements.

The walls will be simpler than a house as you'll likely have fewer windows. The biggest details there will likely be sizing the headers. The rough out dimensions for the garage door(s) would be available from the door manufacturer.

I believe you can do this yourself or with assistance here.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.