911 road inspections?

Started by ScottA, December 08, 2010, 10:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I had an odd encounter today. A guy from the county 911 service showed up here and proceeds to tell me my road is too rough for an ambulance to use. He was driving a 4 wheel drive SUV with county markings. Why do you supose the county bought him a 4WD? This is a rural county in rocky country and all the roads are rough! Anyway I told him too bad and that I planned to improve it later but I don't have time right now. This has got to be a joke. I know of houses around here you can't get to without a jeep. He made it in to me ok and I drive in and out every day in a 2WD pickup.

Don_P

Are there minimum driveway standards in your county? Ours has none but I have worked in areas that have them.

I doubt yours is as bad, I was young and bulletproof when we built our house. The ambulance and brush truck can get to the house here during the Super Bowl  ::) but a big truck wouldn't try and probably couldn't make it in. Something to consider for those getting ready to build. I have 2 operational 4wd's, we've been walking in this week and walked for at least 2 months last winter. With a healing sprained ankle that hasn't been the most fun. We were forced to face reality several years ago and moved my wifes Mom into a facility before it was strictly necessary because I realized I probably couldn't get her out quickly or safely if needed. That said I'm also walking in a longer and easily as steep drive at work, the people are a couple of years older than me. Carried the compressor in yesterday and a propane tank today. Wastes a good half hour and I was about to blow cookies yesterday. Found an old pic, the new house is going on the hill in the background. Pretty much on the saddle just to the right of the boom. I did bring my old truck down from there today, helluva sled run  ;D

If they didn't have regulations on the books when you built, I would simply take it as being forwarned, you're on your own.

MountainDon

The road into our property had to be made to meet certain grade and width requirements. That was sort of funny as the road through the national forest to our property is exempt from those rules.

I have heard of others who have had to have minimum width drives with minimum radius turn around space before permits would be granted sold. . All for emergency vehicle access, all I can say is that if anyones roads do not meet those requirements don't be surprised if there are issues if fire equipment or ambulances ever have to access the property.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The police state has taken over most of the US.... many good but a lot of parasites.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

I'm not aware of any minimum standards. He did not try to force the issue, just mumbled something about liability issues and left. I'm now starting to think this is his job to go out and review access. I probly have a note in the system now not to enter the property. I know the fire dept. has some off road fire engines so I don't see what the big deal is.

peternap

I never checked on the standards and frankly, don't care if they have them or not. I'm not on the 911 network and don't plan to be. I have made provisions to get my wife or Zeus out in case of an emergency and I can do it faster than a rescue crew.

I've never programed my phone for emergency numbers (911) so it doesn't see it as a phone number. This is a funny story. (a little morbid) [waiting]

After Jane and I had gone to dinner and were heading back (a 50 mile drive) I saw two vehicles playing tag with each other. I have a goal of someday being able to get pictures or video of a vehicle still in the air so I grabbed the Sony and started videoing.

Sure enough, the truck ran off the road at about 70 MPH, came back on the pavement sideways and started rolling.

Jane stopped and I umped out while we were still moving, getting footage the whole time. The truck stopped and the driver was under it. Still running the camera I went up to see if he was pinned.

Jane was yelling that she couldn't fine her phone so I tossed he mine. She dialed 911 since the phone say it as a stored number, dialed a friend of mine who was number 9 on the phone list.

Jane had him call the police. I got a good video. The driver and all the passengers lived and the other car got away.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!