20X24 cabin with a 2 bedrooms in the loft

Started by waldo707, January 24, 2011, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waldo707

Hi,

I want to build a 20 X 24 cabin with a 2 bedroom loft upstairs.  I plan on using 2X6" 10' walls...pocketing two beams at a 8' height to build the loft upon.  On the lower level there will be a bedroom dividing the 20' width (thus splitting the span for the beam to cross) but at the other end I would like to keep the living space wide open.  Is it possible to build the loft on a beam that spans the entire 20'?

Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
waldo707

forgot to mention...there is no building code where I am building...but want it to be safe of course!

astidham

Hi waldo707,  w*
I'm not real sure that I understand your question about the beam.
As far as the loft goes, the 20' width of the cabin "loft" could be spanned with 2x12s on 16" centers held up with a ledger board.
see this post for an example
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8038.msg118648#msg118648
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Placing two beams across could be done, with the floor joists for the loft supported at right angles (running parallel to the long sides of the cabin). I believe that would be more costly though. The two beams would have to be stout and also have stout supports to hold the loft weight.

The usual method would be to span the 20 foot distance with 2x joists or engineered wood joists, probably on 16 inch centers, maybe wider spaced depending on many factors. With the joists spanning the 20 ft width the load is spread along more of the outside walls and down to the foundation.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

suburbancowboy

You could run two glulam beams across the 20 foot length every 8 feet then on the 24 foot width you could use 2X12-8 for the three 8 foot sections.  I am doing something similar for my 20X36 cabin this spring except having 8 foot section I will have 12 foot sections. 

waldo707

I was thinking of the idea of two beams splitting the 24' space into 3 8' spaces....the loft would simply be two bedrooms one on each side of the building with a short catwalk between the two.  A 'L' shaped staircase on one side of the catwalk and the other side would be open to the main floor.

Thank you for the replies folks...every idea helps!