Moonshine Stills

Started by MountainDon, October 24, 2008, 12:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Every mountain kid has tried it at one time or the other Don.
I blew one up once!

We quickly found in High School that beer was much easier. ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

I have plans some where for making a motor fuel still that will make it 98% pure after one run but I never did make it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

soomb

I went to school in the southeast and a bar owner I worked for made great shine.  Apple shine, and "herbal" shine ahhhh youth.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

NM_Shooter

Reminds me of a bootlegger's daughter I used to date.  I love her still.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

benevolance

Sadly there are less and less people making good shine...

It boggles my mind...Not illegal to drink yourself to death...or to make most types of alcohol...But make Shine for your own personal consumption and you go to jail?

It all comes down to money and taxation...If we make the shine ourselves we do not have to buy hard liquor from the store where 3/4 of the price of the alcohol is pure tax....

Never had apple shine...Here in the south Peach and Strawberry shine seem to be popular...Had some that was amazing...and some that after one little drink I wanted to retch...So it can vary I guess.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: NM_Shooter on October 24, 2008, 11:16:02 PM
Reminds me of a bootlegger's daughter I used to date.  I love her still.

-f-

Cough...cough.... Frank, I nearly got one of Sassy's famous pork chops stuck in my throat when I read that one... [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Two anecdotes re bootlegging.

Growing up a kid in Arkansas, I was all over the woods while hunting.  Once upon a time, my buddy and I found a still in the woods that was made out of an old refrigerator.  They put a firebox in the bottom, the mash was in a kettle in the top freezer part, and they used the old coolant coil as the evap cooler.  Not sure how that all tasted.

My grandfather used to make his own wine in his basement in Chicago during prohibition days.  Actually, he used to make everything in his basement... he even had a small machine shop down there.  Just about any time you went down there you could find dozens upon dozens of home canned veggies and fruits, home made sausage hanging from the rafters (how the heck do you keep that from going bad?  Magic?)  And 5 gallon glass bottles of wine from the grape he grew.  Keep in mind this is one of those little city "Archie Bunker" type houses that have almost no yards at all.  A tribute to what you can do with a small garden space. 

Anyway, he used to distill his wine to make stiffer spirits too.  He used it to trade with neighbors.  As far as I know, he was never harassed by the police.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

benevolance

well one thing in his favour would be that he made it underground inside...There is such a strong smell when you make shine... getting it inside and underground would help confine the smell and if all his neighbors were friends that wanted some shine and were trading for it...that eliminates anyone calling the police...Meaning they would have no way to know what he was doing or reason to bother with him