David and Lisa's 20 x 30 in Plumas County, CA

Started by davidj, January 11, 2008, 01:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidj

My friend Christian took a great photo of the cabin using his flashy digital SLR.  This was actually three separate exposures, some quite long, post-processed using gimp (similar to Photoshop).

davidj

I guess if I'm putting up photos I should also do a status update...

Actually, not much has happened.  The backer board is down in the front room and everything is ready for putting down the slate.  Except for my knees and back, which are rebelling at the the thought of what 400 sq ft of tiling its going to be like.

We've also installed a basic whole-house water filter - we were getting fine sand in the system and it was causing all sorts of problems, blocking up most of our plumbing fixtures (especially the toilet).  It seems a lot better now.

Finally I've started work on the "power shed", which is much more fun than tiling.  Have got the footings in for the 8'x10' shed and should have the bulk of the framing done in the next 2-3 weekends.  Whilst this is happening I'll work on the permit for the solar, inverter and batteries (no permit needed for the shed itself given its size).

davidj

Here are a couple of photos of the "power shed".  This will hold the inverter, batteries and also all the electrical and plumbing parts and tools that I've accumulated over the years.  Initially we're gonna use a portable generator and wheel it out on to the deck when needed (hopefully we'll run of solar most of the time).  At some point we'll hopefully have a permanently-mounted propane generator, maybe in a shelter out the back.  Note that the cover over the deck is critical - it's really hard moving around portable generators in 4 ft of snow!

This all took way longer than planned but it should last for a good while.  Unlike my guests (who get to sleep in a shed with 2x4 construction and no insulation) my batteries have 2x6 fully-insulated walls, R30 in the ceiling and sheetrock finish (to reduce the fire risk).  Per an earlier discussion, there's 1.5" of poly iso between the sub floor and a 1/2" plywood finished floor.  This seems to have worked well and I'm gonna use the technique again - much less hassle than trying to protect insulation under the subfloor (but it means you leave the bottom plate in place under the door, with a header 1.5" higher too).

davidj

Quote from: davidj on July 24, 2012, 10:28:41 AM
We've also installed a basic whole-house water filter - we were getting fine sand in the system and it was causing all sorts of problems, blocking up most of our plumbing fixtures (especially the toilet).  It seems a lot better now.

After a few months, two thumbs up for the water filter.  It seems to get through a filter every couple of months but I assume that will drop back in the winter when we use way less water.  But it works really well and easily worth the $60 or so investment.

Sassy

Your cabin & the battery/misc room look great!  I like the picture your friend posted of the cabin & sky at night  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

UK4X4

Are you using a two or three stage filter system ?

I would use a washable first stage wire or plastic mesh screen followed by the disposable filters

most of the sand would end up in the washable filter making your disposable one last longer

In my latest filter system I just designed for a work project I'm using 3 filters in smaller sizes in a parralel system with pressure gauges between each stage

so that you can tell which ones are blocking up

davidj

Quote from: UK4X4 on October 16, 2012, 12:39:06 PM
Are you using a two or three stage filter system ?

I would use a washable first stage wire or plastic mesh screen followed by the disposable filters

most of the sand would end up in the washable filter making your disposable one last longer

In my latest filter system I just designed for a work project I'm using 3 filters in smaller sizes in a parralel system with pressure gauges between each stage so that you can tell which ones are blocking up
I'm just using a single stage with a disposable paper filter.  And the filter itself is pretty coarse - I don't have the details here, but I think it's the FXHSC which has a 30 micron rating.  One issue was pressure drop - I've barely got enough pressure and I didn't want to lose a bunch with multiple filters.

Danfish

David, nice looking shelter for power system...you can always move into it when you say the wrong thing in the main house!

On the subject of filtering out sand and assuming you are on a well system...you might want to look into a cyclone type sand trap.  These are used on larger wells, especially in the irrigation industry.  There are some manufactures that make smaller units suitable to domstic wells, ARKAL Filtration Systems has a two inch unit for around $200.  Only problem might be minimum flow requirements (66 gpm for ARKAL unit).   These units have a blow off that you open now and then to discharge the trapped sand (frequency depends on how much sand well is producing), no filters to clean or replace.

Did you driller properly develope (flush) the well before installing the pump.  If you are using a submersible pump and there is a lot of sand, might wonder what is happening to pump impellers.

davidj

Quote from: Danfish on October 17, 2012, 02:35:09 PM
On the subject of filtering out sand and assuming you are on a well system...you might want to look into a cyclone type sand trap.  These are used on larger wells, especially in the irrigation industry.  There are some manufactures that make smaller units suitable to domstic wells, ARKAL Filtration Systems has a two inch unit for around $200.  Only problem might be minimum flow requirements (66 gpm for ARKAL unit).   These units have a blow off that you open now and then to discharge the trapped sand (frequency depends on how much sand well is producing), no filters to clean or replace.
66gpm for a 2" unit?  In theory we get 5gpm, but probably more like 3-4gpm.  I guess we need a 2mm unit!
Quote from: Danfish on October 17, 2012, 02:35:09 PM
Did you driller properly develope (flush) the well before installing the pump.  If you are using a submersible pump and there is a lot of sand, might wonder what is happening to pump impellers.
I've been a bit worried about the pump too, although I'm hoping the small amount of water that we use is gonna save us on this front and that old age will get it before it gets sanded away completely.

It seemed like there wasn't too much sand in the well originally - it was cloudy when it hadn't been used for a while but I don't remember a lot of particulates - it seemed to get worse a few years later once the house went up.  But, thinking about it, the sand might have been there all along and it's just I didn't notice it until it started messing up the new plumbing.  Given the reputation of the drilling guys it wouldn't surprise me if they cut corners on developing the well.

grover

I read through quickly but didn't see anything about the siding.  Did I miss it?

davidj

Quote from: grover on October 24, 2012, 06:38:29 AM
I read through quickly but didn't see anything about the siding.  Did I miss it?
The siding on the main cabin is knotty cedar plywood.  On the outbuildings it's just regular rough exterior plywood.  All trim is resawn cedar.

I'm not sure I'd use the knotty cedar again - it's considerably more expensive and there was a lot of scrappy filler in the knots.  If I did I'd work out a way of tidying up the knots before staining.

davidj

Had our first significant storm of the Winter last weekend.  Running conduit in trenches with almost a foot of snow on the ground isn't much fun!

duncanshannon

Quote from: davidj on October 28, 2012, 09:25:44 AM
Had our first significant storm of the Winter last weekend.  Running conduit in trenches with almost a foot of snow on the ground isn't much fun!

ooooof. that sounds horrible!  good luck.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0