Any tips for tiling a bathroom that I should know about?

Started by VEIGGINDY, August 12, 2010, 09:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VEIGGINDY

I plan on tiling a bathroom soon so are there any useful tips out there to help it go smoother? Also what should I do when re installing the toilet? What needs to be done with the tile going along the side of the bathtub as far as grout or sealing it? I'm going to be keeping a step by step dairy on my bathroom blog if anyones interested, it's one thing writing abour bathrooms, its quite another re-modeling one yourself!

MountainDon

When adding tile to the floor without making any changes to the toilet drain pipe, you may be able to get away with a thicker than normal wax seal when re-installing the toilet.

What is the floor tile going over? Are you installing a cement fiber backer board?

When I did my wall to tub tile joint years ago I used a sanded caulk. My tile dealer sold it in colors that matched all the grout color they sold. I've also seen a person mix acrylic caulk with the dry grout to add color and grit and use that to caulk the joint.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dstraate

Also, pay extra for the flexible mastic.  It can get tempting to buy the most inexpensive option, but mastic is one of those places where you get what you pay for.

RIjake

All well installed flooring is dependent on a clean, solid and smooth subfloor.  The new subfloor/backer board underlayment products make life a lot easier   

rick91351

Quote from: RIjake on July 31, 2011, 12:47:33 PM
All well installed flooring is dependent on a clean, solid and smooth subfloor.  The new subfloor/backer board underlayment products make life a lot easier   

I so agree, however that can be a thread of all it's own in itself.  A lot of the underlayment comes with good instructions available via pamphlet or web.  It needs to be followed for a good install.  I have used some Hardi-backer and another brand both worked good.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

RIjake

hehe, rick you're absolutely right.  While I was typing my last post I started to get into the installation of the board, but went back and deleted it.  That's a whole 'nother thread!