Roof sheathing

Started by astidham, August 02, 2010, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

my trusses are on 24" centers 12/12 pitch, what are my options for sheathing thickness?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

7/16 and thicker, osb or plywood as long as it is rated for the 24" span (panels are stamped)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

I used 7/16 osb with clips between the rafters. Be sure to stagger the sheets.

astidham

Thank You ScottA and MountainDon!
MountainDon, long time no see.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Quote from: astidham on August 02, 2010, 02:08:42 PM

MountainDon, long time no see.

good to be back here, even tho' we had a great time traveling.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

I found 5/8" nice and firm for 24" on center.   We did 1/2" plywood 24" on center with "H" clips on our garage.   I felt like I was going to fall through . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Mrdecatur217

todd your indian see if you can't dance up a cloud with out makeing it rain,.,.looking good

ScottA

Quote from: bayview on August 02, 2010, 05:15:52 PM

I found 5/8" nice and firm for 24" on center.   We did 1/2" plywood 24" on center with "H" clips on our garage.   I felt like I was going to fall through . . .

/

I agree that 7/16 osb is bouncy on a lower pitched roof but on a 12/12 roof its plenty firm. My guess is by tilting it up at a 45 degree angle the stiffness in relation to up and down is increased. I've worked on both and you can feel a real difference.