Post and Beam style and Plan Changes

Started by nick85, July 01, 2012, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick85

Hello, I am seriously considering the universal cottage plan, modifying it to either 20' x 36' or 20' x 40'. My understanding is that
24' wide might require center posts..however I am also considering a 24' x 36' as well (there was a GORGEOUS 24' wide on this home that
I would love to use as a plan that was on this site!)

I jumped back and forth between this and the firstday cottage...and then back. I like the universal cottage because it 'looks' and feels
more like a traditional farmhouse style home that is wider than firstday, making it easier for upstairs master bedroom/bath and walk in closets.
etc than a 16 or 18' wide structure.

I also looked at the shelter kit homes, which are nice. But, I want to be as cost effective and selective with materials as I can.

I have seen many pictures of what I would consider 'standard' framing for the universal cottage. However, I want a more 'post and beam' style..
and definitely would like to have beams exposed in much of the house in the ceiling, I like the look. Does this plan allow for the traditional 'post and beam' style to build
using bents instead of framing a wall and raising it as the load-bearing structure? I just see staining these beams a gorgeous red oak in the kitchen :)

We are working dilligently hard to save up money to build our home with most of the labor on us, except for the foundation, well, septic,
electrical and plumbing rough in, and some of the roof installation.

I guess I'll just boil down my questions to make it easier:

1. Do you guys get traditional mortgage financing for this? FHA conversion after the construction loan?

2. Can these plans be built using the post and beam bent style and sheething?

3. Here's the interesting one: If I were to purchase one of the firstday cottage single story additions to attach to this house for a vaulted

living room, is that possible. I still like the look of firstday's single story additions as gorgeous, affordable large living rooms with

wood stoves and want to incorporate this as a "T" onto the house (I'll hopefully get a hold of David on this one too).

4. Can you add dormer windows on the attic floor? This is something that might be done down the road to add aesthetic appeal and kind of create a nook area in the attic to make it feel like
a really old house, crafted with age. It could be a spare bedroom or bonus room down the road.

5. Finally, about how much does it cost to build the basic universal 20' x 30' cottage? A rough estimate minus the cost of, of course, finish work such as fixtures)

(I can figure on my own from there on what it might
roughly start to cost after changes later).

phew! I'm a slew of questions..but this is going to be a year-long process of us very carefully planning everything and making sure we have the adequate questions answered beforehand
(I even have a large binder for this!! haha [cool])

John Raabe

Just to make sure you know - CountryPlans sells stock plans. We do not build houses or modify the plans. Help with that should be found locally.

There are folks on the forum who will offer suggestions for help with your design ideas or building questions, but they are only that - suggestions.

The Universal cottage can be built with either engineered joists that span the full 20' width, OR with 2x8 joists that span to and bear on an internal exposed beam and posts. These post loads go all the way down the house to the foundation pads. When some folks have gone to 24' wide with this design they have used the internal beam and post system which can be resized for longer span joists and extended to 24' wide or more. The floor plan layout will of course be redone as well for this new size. The attic plan and details can be modified for dormers and usable living space. The stairway can be extended up to the attic (with a shed dormer). These possible modifications are NOT shown in the plans. We show an attic truss system or a standard framed attic with insulation in the floor.

See this for pricing suggestions: http://countryplans.com/costs.html. We can't advise you on financing options.

Post and beam wall framing is not something I would suggest and it would involve doing plan modifications with a local builder who knows that type of construction and how your building department would work with it.
None of us are as smart as all of us.