RESIDENTAL ENGERY CODE COMPLIANCE WORKSHEET

Started by dfuerle, October 17, 2011, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfuerle

I just purchased the "Little House plans" and need to fill out a residential energy code compliance worksheet for washington state.  I was wondering if you have done this before for the 14'x24' house?  I'm having trouble figuring out the exact number of windows and doors specified in the drawings and what their sizes are.

http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/pub_svcs/PlanningDocs/Handouts/36ResidentialEnergyCodeWorksheet.pdf

John Raabe

The 2x4 Little House plans with the shallow pier foundation would not be a good choice for doing the energy code worksheet or doing a permit in Gray's Harbor.

A much better choice would be the 14'x24' Builder's Cottage in the Enchilada plans set. It has a concrete perimeter foundation, 2x6 walls for R-19 or 21 and R-30 in the roof. It is designed for better insulation. It also has a detail in the included booklet for super-insulation in the walls if you want to trade off something else in the worksheet.

Send an email to orders@countryplans.com for an upgrade price if you want to use that plan set.

On the floor plans windows are called out with a size note such as "3o x 4o SH" which means 3' wide by 4' tall single hung. That is 12 sf of window area. You can scale the length and height of the wall and then subtract window and door area to get net wall area.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Have you looked at the REScheck software download? It comes up with the same answers and will print out a page(s) that is accepted for energy code compliance. One thing I like about it is the wall, window, etc. specs can be easily changed to see how the overall efficiency increases or decreases with changes.

http://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck/download.stm
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

A residential energy code worksheet will largely depend on choices you make regarding the type of insulation you use and the quality of windows.  2x4 construction can meet modern energy codes with spray foam or exterior foam.  It is more difficult and expensive though.  Usually the far simpler and more cost effective option is greater cavity insulation as John is proposing.

Wow, your jurisdiction requires blower door testing. That is a newer requirement.