Skid foundation for 14 x 24

Started by largemilk, July 22, 2011, 06:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

largemilk

I just received the Little House Plans Kit, and would like to build the 14 x 24 version for a workshop/shed.  I want to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible, so I plan on using the skid, or beam and joist, foundation you illustrate on the back of the instruction booklet.  Does it matter which way the beams run; the length or the width of the house?  I have not been able to find any beam materials that are 24' long, so I'm assuming I'll have to run 3 14' beams the width of the house, 12' apart, then hang 2x8 joists between them at 16" o/c.  Does this sound like a good solution, or can you suggest a better way?  Thanks for any advice you have for me!

John Raabe

First off let me mention that the skid foundation title "Shed and Playhouse Details, Building closer to the ground" was an indication of a utilitarian building of limited lifetime. This was shown as an option for small structures that might be dragged around a property to different locations if needed. That would not work for a building as large as the 14x24.

There are other problems with doing a full sized building using this foundation.
• No anchorage into the ground - little protection against high wind or earthquake forces
• No access to the underfloor area so no wiring or plumbing in the floor
• The building would be subject to settlement and frost heave in some soils.

I would not suggest using this admittedly inexpensive foundation for a heated building you plan for long term living. It would be a false economy to spend so little on a foundation and so much on the building above. And sometimes what is planned to be a temporary use turns into a longer term living space.

To answer your question, the beam shown in the middle diagram would run the length of the building under the walls on either side and the joists span the width in between. The PT beams can be assembled from 2x materials of differing lengths. See: Built-up Beam

None of us are as smart as all of us.

largemilk

John, thanks for the quick answer.

Your points are well-taken.  I live in Arkansas so, while frost heave is not a big issue here, tornadoes are, and the anchorage for wind is an important consideration.  I had not planned on heating the building or installing plumbing; just electrical for some basic power tools and lighting, so I thought I might be able to get away with the skid foundation.  But I think I'll probably take your advice and go with the pier and beam foundation.

Thanks again!