Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Looks real good Scott. I have to admit the window looks better than the backhoe.

apaknad

very well done scott. you must be quite pleased with your work.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Redoverfarm on October 24, 2008, 04:07:57 PM
Looks real good Scott. I have to admit the window looks better than the backhoe.

Can anything look better than a backhoe, John? hmm 

I hope Scott made that window open so his wife can see the backhoe when she wants too.  It appears a bit obscure... [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

If you tilt your head just right and squint you can sorta see out.  ;D

apaknad

i love backhoes(that's all i'm going to say).  ;D
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

:D :D  you guys are funny...   Scott, I'm sure your wife will insist that you leave the views open so she can see the beautiful wilderness  ;)  I've had to fight Glenn to keep him from blocking all our windows (and we have a lot!) with shops, equipment, walls etc  ::)  I told him "we may as well be down in the valley" if all the views are blocked"...  he's listened to me somewhat...  d*

BTW, Scott, your place keeps getting beautifuller & beautifuller  8)  I wouldn't mind one of those round windows...  I have a round signal shutter window off a ship in a door in our bedroom  ;D

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ScottA

ScottA

Finnished up the west dutch gable. Hard to belive it's been over a year since I started this project.  d*

Cost to date $8700. 15k budget. Think I'll make it?

Redoverfarm

Good job Scott.  Looks better without the roof jacks on the roof. ;D

MadisonsDad

MadisonsDad

Does you cedar siding on the outside corners butt up against the other side or did you make an angle cut on the ends to match up? Did you use some kind of spacer as you went to keep your gaps uniform or just measure it as you went? I think it's really impressive how the cedar lines up with the next side and how it looks straight as an arrow.

That deck would be a great place to sit and listen to a Minnesota Twins game and enjoy a cool one. c*

ScottA

Here's a closer view of the corner. I used a 3/8" drill bit as a spacer.

ScottA

Wet cool rainy day today so I'm trapped at home. Quick update. I sold 3 acres of the 4.5 I purchaced on the north side to my brother. He's going to build a small cabin there in the spring after doing the clearing this winter. I guess he liked my idea of small and self sufficent living. Will be good to have him next door.

glenn kangiser

That is great, Scott.  Nice to have someone nearby that you can trust and count on in emergency or even when either of you need a hand.

ScottA

Not much to see this month. I poured a slab for the wood stove to sit on. 360 lbs. of concrete covering about 9 sq. ft. for thermal mass. The flooring is doubled under the slab. Spent some time clearing trees around the cabin and making firewood. I also put in the outlet and switch boxes for the electrical. The weather has been too chilly the past week or so to do any staining but I did manage to get the shakes on the east gable. Waiting for a semi warm spell to trim it out. Maybe next week. Till then I'll be working on the inside.

MountainDon

It'll be nice to get the stove in place, is that on the to do soon list?

I thought about building the floor up in the corner where our stove sits too. I decided against it as thermal mass works both ways. It would take longer to warm the cabin when we go up on a winter weekend.

Are you going to tile or stone it?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

We're talking about tile but I don't know yet. The wall behind it gets bricked so I need to do that first. I'm trying to get things ready for the stove but I don't know how soon it will get done. My schedule has been crazy lately.

This cabin will be used year round so the thermal mass comes in handy.

CWhite

Scott, I love the pictures of your progress, and look forward to watching your thread.

I also envy your route to being debt free.  Our place is done, but we're paying for it every month. 

Christina

wildbil

I've just read through this thread. Thats one awesome house Scott. [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool]
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

Bishopknight

An absolutely gorgeous and unique house. I love the siding and how you're putting all the finishing touches on it.

Great job on staying below 10k up till now. Its come out beautifully. Keep the pics coming. Yours are one of the few I can view pics of from work!

ScottA

Thanks, I'm happy you all like it.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Hopefully it'll warm up soon and you can keep working.  Ok, so really I'm hoping it will warm back up soon so that the kids can play outside and quit tearing up the house, but.... it would benefit you too. ;D

ScottA

HG when we where kids we had hats and mittens.