Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

My first attempt at a faux wood finish (window). In other news...all the paneling is stained, the front door is painted and I'm starting on cabinets.

Jens

do you have any trim detail planned for the seams and edges of the paneling?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

Quotedo you have any trim detail planned for the seams and edges of the paneling?

You need to ask? Yep lots of trim. I'm guestimating about $500 worth.

Sassy

that sure is a pretty window!    8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

TexstarJim

Everything is looking great Scott, you're doing a great job and its going to be a beauty when you're finished. [cool]
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

ScottA

Upper kitchen cabinets progress.

devildog

ScottA, Those cabinets look great! Id like to build my own to save money and its something I could do over winter while waiting for it to warm up. Is there a website or book you used to help you ,or is it your own knowledge? are they made using plywood?
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

ScottA

I built the cabinets from memory from others I've looked at. Just kinda made it up as I went along. These are made from white pine. The base cabinets will be birch plywood with white pine faces.

glenn kangiser

Nice cabinets, Scott.  My favorite - solid wood.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

TexstarJim

Cabinets are going to be absolutely beautiful when you're finished Scott.  Excellent job!

ScottA

Thanks for the kind words guys.

New pics of the base cabinets.

Laundry cabinet.

I'm going to finish these before I do the countertops.

MountainDon

Dang! Scott's even got the telephone in there.    ;)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

I'm very curious about the OSB inside the house -- I've never seen that before.  ???

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 30, 2009, 06:04:13 PM
I'm very curious about the OSB inside the house -- I've never seen that before.  ???

That's because it's always hidden under something else.  ;)  Ya' never see it on the outside either, or at least you shouldn't.    :o

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Looking good Scott.  What are your plans on the countertop and backsplash? 

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on November 30, 2009, 06:09:03 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on November 30, 2009, 06:04:13 PM
I'm very curious about the OSB inside the house -- I've never seen that before.  ???

That's because it's always hidden under something else.  ;)  Ya' never see it on the outside either, or at least you shouldn't.    :o

As a former builder (framer and human backhoe) I mean I really have never seen that before.  From the ground up builds etc etc....just was wondering about it.  I've noticed others doing it too.

Of course if you go back over 50 years it was common to have walls that had more materials in them and were thicker/stronger then today's (I know 'cause it was hard to tear some of them apart when I was in the reno biz) but it got me thinking.

Anyway, we dry-walled to the studs over vapor barrier in our addition and in the cabin I plan to go with my interior the same way.

MountainDon

Scott had his reasons which I can not recall, but they seemed reasonable at the time.  I'm certain he'll set us both straight and get us in line.  :-[  Me anyways.

TexstarJim

I thought it was because he is laying that thin veneer over everything inside.  Mahogany?  Can't remember, but maybe its for something else? d*

ScottA

The OSB is a backer for the mahogany veneer. The countertop will be stained concrete and the backsplash tile.

Redoverfarm

Scott I have some sites on concrete countertops that might help if you haven't gotten any reference material. Let me know and I will PM them to you.

ScottA

I can use all the info I can get John. Thanks.

MountainDon

John, why don't you post the links you have, under a new topic maybe?

I thought he just had to nail together some 2x4 form's and call a transit mixer.   [crz]

OlJarhead

Quote from: ScottA on November 30, 2009, 10:58:07 PM
The OSB is a backer for the mahogany veneer. The countertop will be stained concrete and the backsplash tile.

Interesting -- and makes sense.

Funny though how you don't normally think of it for that (ok I don't) but why not?  Did you use 7/16? or thinner?  Just curious becuase that might make a good backing for fire rock hearths?