Battery rejuvinator

Started by Bob Lawrence, January 18, 2005, 11:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Lawrence

This may be a bit off base for this site but, I know there are some on here using lead acid batteries for power in their cabins.
Check out www.pulsetech.net for a solar powered
battery maintanence system. I just discovered this and have no financial or any other interest, just thought it might save someone some money.
I got a 12v model and am putting it on my bass boat. They claim you can extend battery life up to a factor or 4!!!! It sends a pulse waveform to your batteries eliminating suffate buildup, the main reason your batteries fail.
Don't know why these things haven't become as popular as a 'pet rock'. Understand all new Humvee's going to Irag have them and they are putting them on all old Humvee's as well.
For what it's worth.
Oh, the 12V model sells for $39. You would have to find a distributor from their website to get one.

JRR

This was a hot topic a few years back.   As I recall, it some science-type who was over here from the ole Soviet bloc who came up with this battery charging scheme.... I guess it took a few years for the lawyers to decide who gets what... and for manufacturing to begin in earnest.  I tried to buy one (several, actually) to be used on industrial fork-lifts... but no luck.

I wonder when auto alternaters will have this wave "chopping" built-in?

Good luck with your unit.

glenn kangiser

One of those would be me-- lots of batteries.  I've been thinking of one of these but haven't got one yet.      I hope that by not letting my batteries get too low for too long I don't get them sulfated.  I need to re-study up on their proper care but they have been doing pretty good most of the time.  So many things-- so little time :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bob Lawrence

According to the engineer I spoke to, sulfate buildup happens in all lead acid batteries and is the
primary cause of failure. If this is true and the pulsed waveform these units provide really removes the sulfate buildup, then it's reasonable to assume battery life would be extended indefinately.
And if the cost of these things is truly only $40 it is a real bargin and certainly worth trying. (The engr is a friend of a friend and gave me one.)
If it were me, I'd be going to battery makers and selling the units patent. I'm sure they don't want people using these things and killing their business.
Can you imagine what this could do to their business? Not to mention the landfills it would save.
Pretty interesting anyway.

glenn kangiser

Here is a link to a site I had bookmarked a long time ago-- It is one of the best sites I found for battery information.   http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Using%20a%20deep%20cycle%20battery%20as%20a%20starting%20battery

After a lot of study of this information I started having a lot better time with my power system and batteries along with some advice from our local solar supplier.  He told me to stop fooling around with little marine deep cycle batteries and go to 8 L16's.  Wire them with # 2/0 through out the system - solder the ends on.  Cable ends can get expensive.  I used 1/2 inch hard copper pipe cut in 1" pieces, smashed them over the cable with a hammer and drilled  holes through them to attach to the batteries.  After that I heated them with a torch and  flowed solder into them - -clean them with a wire brush and sand paper  and use the proper flux- the solder will flow right in.   Actually the cables going to my inverter should be heavier.  I have a 4000 watt Trace True Sine wave inverter.  This works out to about 167 amps at 24 volts going into the inverter.  It puts out 110 V  and  I have a transformer to kick it up to 220 to run my pump or other things.  I use a relay so the transformer is only on when using 220.  This saves electricity by reducing parasite draw.  Also keep in mind that if you want all the things a regular house has it will require more solar panels = more cost.  Something using only 10 watts per hour uses 240 watts per day or the output of 2 large solar panels for 1 hour.  A compact fluorescent uses around 13 watts for 60 watts light output or about 312 watts per 24 hours.

Here is a link to their desulfator information page.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/battery_desulfator.htm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.