What would you do

Started by EcoHeliGuy, December 04, 2009, 10:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoHeliGuy

Ok so I was going to buy land in northern BC, there is this small town I love and wanted to build a solar passive off the grid home, with a hobby farm. Well it just so happens that any land that is available is priced like condos in a large city, we are talking 6 digit figures for anything over an acre.

So I found this place with a beautiful home, 30 mins from town, on the main highway, its just under 20 acres and has a house built of all wood (no gip rock) a powered garage, and fencing already in for horses, and a chicken coop. the land is mostly treed, everything is perfect except, there is about 1-2 acres with a huge high voltage main power line across it at the edge of the property, which also so happens to be 250 feet from the house.

this is the main reason I can afford this place, the way I look at it, its like 17 acres priced as 10, compared to 19 acres with 2 acres being "borrowed" by BC hydro.

So what would you do, the fact that the power lines are there, doesn't bother me, Its that BC hydro owns part of my property, but I pay for it.

would you buy, or not?

MushCreek

I wouldn't. I know nothing about the potential emissions from power lines, but it seems risky to me. Maybe for a vacation cabin, but not for everyday. Have you tried to google up some info on power line emissions? I'm shocked that land in northern BC would be that expensive. I didn't think there was anyone up there. ???
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

WoodSprite

Specifically, look into the effects of living in proximity to high voltage power lines on the central nervous system before you make a decision.  I completely understand the temptation - we very reluctantly left the northwest when we realized after a two-year search that the entire Pacific Northwest seems to have become a suburb of LA in terms of land value.  So here we are in upstate NY, digging FOUR FEET down to the frost line and feeling we've dodged a bullet since we haven't had two months of deep snow already. <sigh...>
The Chronicle of Upper Tupper
This place was made by doing impractical things we could not afford at the wrong time of year.   -Henry Mitchell

MountainDon

Google "EMF power lines" beore signing on the dotted line. You will ind believers and skeptics just like with the argument about cell phone emissions and health hazards. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.