Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I guess you could say that Dogtrot is semi-retired. Still no generator yet (out for repairs).  I did go to my annual builders auction on Saturday and manages to pick up 2 storm doors.  Actually they are heavy ( 75# each) and they are classified as pre-entry doors with full glass or screen.  I had seen them at previous auctions but never the right size or color.  They are the right size, right directional swing and color ( Antique brown).  If you can believe they were originally retailed at $389 each.  Of course I didn't spend that much for both.  They even have deadbolts verses the standard flip latch and lock.  Now when the weather breaks I hope to get them installed.  Those will give me a lot more ventilation in the summer.  They will go on the two rear/opposing doors to the deck area.  The nice thing is that in the winter with the full glass they will keep the snow from laying against the regular entry doors.

Today I loaded the last remaining stone that was left over which I sold to an individual who was in the market for some.  All total I think I have laid about 1200 square feet at the cabin.  I had about 140 sq ft left over and basicly got almost the same price back that I originally paid.  There is always a downside.  The ground has starting thawing so you know what happens when you take a farm tractor with forks to load the stone.  I think if I can get my lawn roller I will be able to roll the cleat marks down.  If not I guess it will give me something to do this summer filling in and reseeding a portion.  It is always good to get rid of your salvage material for $$$.  ;)

ChuckinVa

We started to come to the auction Saturday. I told Debbie I bet you went and she said she thought you were going to the square dance. ( By the way, dad called this evening and he got his "badge" and certificate so he is an official square dancer !Not bad for a guy who spent 3 days in the hospital week before last.) We went to H'burg Saturday afternoon. Our company left about 10:30 in the morning headed back to WV. Glad you found the doors. I need to pick your brain about a way to lift my logs once I start cutting them. I have been marking trees on the property but I'm going to need a lot more than I have here. I may need to scale it back to 16 X 14 to use some of the trees I have here.
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Found an updated map of Dogtrot.    [cool]  Might have even been in the fall after I finished the deck.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.112522&lon=-79.939604&z=20&r=0&src=msl

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Well for the time being I have shifted gears and moved to the house for a long awaited project.  I have roughly 35 acres of elevated woodland behind the house which I have never been able to gain good access to other than a ATV.  Today with the aid of a neighbor who builds logging roads we flagged about 1500 feet of road through the woods to the mountain top.  First we flagged a 15% grade starting at the house to the mountain top.  The distance to the National Forest Boundry came up too quick before we reached the top.  So we went back and moved up the mountain side and flaged a 20% grade which brought us to the top within 20 feet of the boundry.  The road is probably a little steep for regular vehicular traffic but the intention was to gain access to firewood so it will be basicly 4 wheel drive vehicles, ATV's and tractors.  The grade could have been reduced by the addition of two switchbacks but that is alot more cost.

Prices have risen on dozer work in the past couple of years.  The last dozer work that I had done was inthe neighborhood of $55-65 hr.  With the amount of trees that have to be removed it was suggested that a larger dozer be used. Ching, ching to the tune of about $100 hr.  Rough estimates are 20-25 hours to cut it in.  I guess it is a trade off being that there are so many people getting Firewood Permits from the National Forest it is getting harder and harder to get firewood.  Yes there is plenty of "dead & down" wood in the National Forest but access is limited to the main roads only so they are waiting in line for the trees to fall.  I have an abundance of trees that are either down , diseased or dying on the mountain top.  If I were to have to purchase wood it would outweigh the road construction within a few years.  So why not kill too birds with one stone. ;D

I tried to post an arial photo of the area showing the road which I couldn't insert the road into the photograph.  So I will post an arial photo and describe the location of the road.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.120885&lon=-79.956758&z=16.1&r=0&src=msl

It will start at the house ( Middle of satelite image denoted at the cross hairs)and run west along the hillside which is just south of the hollow running to the west turning to the southwest. It will gradually  d* Wind to the top.  Just south of the house there are two pasture fields.  1/2 the distance through the big field (second one south of the house)there is a fence row with a few trees which run from Route 92 to the west by north west being the property boundry.  It will intersect the new road at the top of the first ridge to the west of the field.  Once on top it will be branched to include a few moderately disturbed skid roads and landings to turn and stack logs to be later cut.  Sorry if you are unable to follow by the description but until I figure the technology used to insert roads onto photographs you will just have to use your imagination. ;)

Redoverfarm

Too Little Too Late.  For those that have followed my build may remember my post of the 4th of January where I addressed the cold snap of 10-18F for that week and my attempts to Winterize Dogtrot.  Well I found a leak recently.  No not the plumbing itself ( I wish) but the toilet in the loft area.  I noticed a small puddle of RV antifreeze on the downstairs bathroom floor.  It was apparent that it originated in the loft bathroom which is immediately over the 1st floor bathroom. 

So I removed the dropped ceiling to investigate.  Huh  ???  No leaks could be found.  Looking closer I found a small trail of antifreeze on the ceiling beam.   I found the culpert. d*    Apparently the toilet trap had frozen before I added the RV antifreeze.       Yep you guessed it.  The toilet bowl was cracked midways from the flange to the rim from one side to the other..   :(   The antifreeze had seaped out the bowl/trap onto the floor and run down through the 2X6 TG to the bathroom below.  When I found them on the 4th the water in the bowl was only slushy so I thought I had caught it in time. 

The weather has been extremely mild in comparison to previous years.  I had tried to monitor the temp(s) but I missed this little cold swing.  Lesson learned for the future  I guess by not trying to stretch the season of occupancy.  I would never be able to find a replacement so I will just have to shop around to find one that will match fairly well and move on.  I guess when the weather finally breaks and I re-energize the water I will be able to tell if there are any other leaks.

rick91351

Not that it is any consolation John.  We occurred frozen stuff up at the ranch this last fall as well.  Bad early cold snap before it really snowed.  Two nights up there they said it almost went to zero in early October.  Before we could get everything drained and put away the pressure switch or pressure gauge on the pressure tank had cracked.  (To much water and mess to tell.)  The valves and clock to the drip line for the raspberries and black berries was solid ice and the 'brass' manifold was cracked and laying on the ground.  At least ours was not in a cabin.....   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

There's always a bright side.... Better pink stuff leaking than yellow or brown.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ChuckinVa

Quote from: MountainDon on February 29, 2012, 06:10:33 PM
There's always a bright side.... Better pink stuff leaking than yellow or brown.   ;D

Always the optimist !

Sorry about your privy John. Your right about not finding another to match it. But maybe you can have fun looking for one!
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Manuel Labor. I am getting too old for this stuff.   The last couple of days I have been cutting/clearing an access up to the top of the mountain for the dozer to start my road.  The road route was measured and appears to be about 1500 feet until it reaches the top from the barn.  The landing and branch access is about another 700 feet so it will be just shy of 1/2 mile in length.  The dozer operator wanted me to go ahead and cut the trees and he would punch a road down then skid the trees to the landing. Then come back and drag the ditch line, install water breaks, bevel the bank and dress the road down..  I would imagine that probably every other tree cut will hang as the majority that have fell are resting on the tree tops of each other.  This could be a problem and imagine I will have to cut and pull as we go.  Not to mention that the slope is extremely steep which makes it a little more difficult to walk let alone cut trees.

glenn kangiser

I dunno, John.  Looks to me like this new fangled indoor plummin stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be.... better build yerself one of them there traditional old shacks out back and use that.  Sears and Roebuck catalogues... now they are hard to find though.....  The little brown shack might freeze up but at least they don't crack and leak..... [waiting]

Logging and roads..... reminds me I have some to do if the guy doesn't get tired of waiting for me.... :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 03, 2012, 10:02:54 AM
I dunno, John.  Looks to me like this new fangled indoor plummin stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be.... better build yerself one of them there traditional old shacks out back and use that.  Sears and Roebuck catalogues... now they are hard to find though.....  The little brown shack might freeze up but at least they don't crack and leak..... [waiting]

Logging and roads..... reminds me I have some to do if the guy doesn't get tired of waiting for me.... :)

The only cracks in the outhouse would be the ones in the walls.  ;)  Good thing I built a spare on the first floor.  That way I will not be completely out of buisness.

Yep I think my plate is getting awfully full and it is only the beginning of the year.   [waiting]

glenn kangiser

The old outhouse my grandparents had was a three hole'r John.  [scared]

I somehow just could not picture myself in there with two other people and doing my morning constitutional while casually discussing the weather, crops etc.....  I wonder how business like that was really conducted back in the day?  [noidea'

Yet, a three hole'r does seem to show some semblance of luxury and class.... so much more elegant than a simple one hole'r.  [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Busy,Busy Weekend at Redoverfarm or at least for it's residents.  Just thought I would give you a taste or for some remind you what it was/is like with kids.  Just to think it is only beginning for the summer.

Started off on Friday evening with the chidren playing a benefit concert for the McClintic Public Library at the Marlinton Opera House.  The Library has been furnishing rooms for the music students to practice and have their weekly jam sessions.  So this was a way to pay them back for all they do for the community.  Raised approximately $1,500.00.  Here is a few videos of that.

This first song is an old (1699 AD )Celtic waltz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EREU09Ig18&feature=plcp&context=C4686c11VDvjVQa1PpcFMKHPRVUZuRL182ezx7gakxnmxSY5wohzo=

This is an Irish song written in about 1922

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQCXDd0FlA&feature=plcp&context=C4999a40VDvjVQa1PpcFMKHPRVUZuRLwAnJFz8phvJGM5FE1_XMEI=

And I don't want to forget the girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij7Iie3hwJc&feature=plcp&context=C4a0cdbaVDvjVQa1PpcFMKHPRVUZuRL-nYwQyDljxmWzE5pfEVjsw=

Well onto Saturday morning with a trip to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory for the county Science Field Day Competition.  No ribbons this year .  But my little girl is already a winner.

Rush, Rush Rush.  Next stop was the annual Ham, Bacon and Egg sale by the FFA & 4H members.  There was 51 children presenting their Ham's, Bacon and Egg projects.  Again the community is behind our youth by purchasing their entries pieces to the tune of approximately $23,500.00. [shocked]

The Grand Champion Ham weighed 25.45# and sold for $34 # Totaling $865.00
The Grand Chamion Bacon weighed 9.5# and sold for $71# Totaling $674.00
The AAA (Grand Champion) eggs by the dozen sold for $400

Believe it or not Steven's bacon was the Grand Chamion Winner.  A total shock to him as this was not one of the best pigs he had raised. 

This was my daughters first year with 4H Ham & Bacon.  Her exhibits won her a "Choice "award on her ham and "Prime" on her bacon which was the opposit side of the hog from her brothers. But the bacon which was 7.3# SOLD FOR $31 @ #  Just about all she could do holding the 26# ham    Notice her brother is "ready and waiting" for a quick recovery in case she drops it before it is sold. ;D

Well it is now Monday and back to work from all that relaxation.  Started cutting the right of way for the road at the house.  Probably managed to clear 700 feet of the 1500ft of trees.  They ranges from 6'-18".  Doesn't seem that much distance but on a hill side I feel that I made pretty good progress.  If the weather holds out I may get the rest done tomarrow baring any unexpected problems.

Pine Cone

Great news!

I really enjoyed Steven's tunes. 

Pretty nice to end up with the prize bacon as well.

Steven better keep an eye on Emily though... she might be gaining on him!

Sounds like a great weekend.   At least to to relax afterwards cutting that right-of-way timber  d*

duncanshannon

Whoah. Thats some expensive ham and bacon... whats the story??
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Redoverfarm

Quote from: duncanshannon on March 12, 2012, 10:04:49 PM
Whoah. Thats some expensive ham and bacon... whats the story??

And they say everything is bigger and better in Texas.   [waiting]  No seriously that is my son & daughters 4H & FFA project.  They each raise a pig which is shown and sold each year.  Then they raise another one which they butchered where they cure the hams and bacons and then sell them at auction held annually in which local buisness owners bid. 

OlJarhead

Oh how I wish!!!

Great show -- if I could learn to make ham...... [cool]

mgramann

Don_P

And I'm here to tell you, that is some excellent bacon  :)  That is quite the ham! Good show [cool]

Our big culinary experiment for the weekend, well we don't exactly have mozzarrella down yet but if anyone needs a new form of rubber I think we have a winner.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on March 13, 2012, 10:56:16 PM
And I'm here to tell you, that is some excellent bacon  :)  That is quite the ham! Good show [cool]

Our big culinary experiment for the weekend, well we don't exactly have mozzarrella down yet but if anyone needs a new form of rubber I think we have a winner.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Last year was so much better as it was smoked and a little leaner.  With Emily joining in the mix this year we didn't get a slab smoked. :(  Let me know how you like the sausage.  What I have had is excellent. 

The cheese oh yes.  I love cheese but not enough to have a milk cow and process it.   ;).  There is a friend that milks and my son has grown to love raw milk.  At $2 a gallon it is a realo bargin.  But most people would turn their nose up at raw milk because it is not pasturized and homogenized.  IMO you can not beat homemade cottage cheese.  Keep trying and eventually you will put "laughing cow" out of buisness. 

Well off to the woods.

Redoverfarm

Day three of clearing the road site at the house.  The logger came by to see how I was getting along with the right-of-way.  After we walked it I have a few more trees that I have to take out. In fact about 10-15 more.    :(.  I was hoping that he would get started tomarrow but it looks like Friday now.  Hey I made it all the way to the barn at the house though.  All 1500 feet of standing on your head.   d*

Here is a shot from the top.  Looks like a mess.  It was so thick that the only open area to fall the trees was in the roadway itself. Also I didn't have gravity of the hillside to pull them over the bank.

I was sort of hoping that I wouldn't have to cut this one.  You can see the size reference to the 20" Chainsaw.  Worse part is that once upon a time the farmer used this for a fence post with woven wire.  The wire is embedded about 10-12" inside the tree.  I will try to cut it high and push the stump out. Picture quality has a lot to be desired  ( Out of breath).  There is another one not in the picture on the lower side and the logger said one has to go.  This one is the worst of the two healthwise. What you don't see is that it is a double tree with each side being the same size.  I would imagine widthwise on the double side it is about 36-40" wide.

OH NO

Well you have that kind of thing on a big job.   ;)  Where is Ax Men when you need them.  Yes I could cut the tree that the forks surround but a safer option is to pull it with the dozier.  I should get 6 points on this one.  There was a gap on either side but the wind was blowing and maybe it attributed to the misalignmet  ;D

Here is a shot at the landing which will be 100 ft X 200Ft at the top. The logger say's " why so small".  I am not going into the logging buisness just some place to stage logs and cut them up.

MountainDon

1.  Great music.  :)   I am a big fan of Irish music which provides the roots for Appalachian folk music.

2.  Good show on the ham & bacon.

3.  Your part of the road work in looking good. That is a whole lot of work.

Redoverfarm

Broke ground on the road today.  In fact in 7 hrs the complete road was "punched" open, one large landing was cleared and a smaller landing was cleared.  Just goes to show you what an experienced dozier/logger operator can do in his own environment.  There were several times I thought he would have to stop and clean his britches but he never missed a stroke. Monday will be a hard day.  He will bring his skidder and guess who will be hooking the choker to drag the fallen logs to the landing.  ;D   Once the logs are skidded to the landing the road will be finished.  The banks will be tapered back, drainage ditch, water breaks installed and road widened.    Here is a few pictures of todays accomplishment.  I have got a video of that monster tree being felled but I will post it tomarrow due tot he download time involved.

The beginning at the barn/house.  This is the only portion of the complete project that can be seen from the house or to the public'

Halfway up the road looking back to the house.

Top Half

Large Landing with the larger logs that were taken off the landing.

Small Landing

Dozier in action with a 18" White Oak.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on March 16, 2012, 07:02:20 PM
1.  Great music.  :)   I am a big fan of Irish music which provides the roots for Appalachian folk music.

2.  Good show on the ham & bacon.

3.  Your part of the road work in looking good. That is a whole lot of work.

It is always good when the children are preforming.  Had a good time.  Both children were pleased with the outcome of their effort. Yes there is a lot work.  Just cutting the 50 or so trees on a steep grade about did me in but as the guy says " I am halfway through now and I can't quit"  ;)  Steven accidently missed the bus today  ;) so he was a big help.  Can't beat youth.    Note to self " have wife pick up another bottle of Ibuprofen"