Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Looking real good Scott.  Make sure of your rafter spacing.  Nothing will tick you off more if the sheeting does not break right on them. 

Been working on the loft floor myself. 2X6"TG on 4X8" beams.  Think PT lumber is bad to warp and bow try prefinishing the T&G and leaving it for over a year.  Pipe clamps and joist pullers on almost each piece.  To top matters off I found out that a Bostich flooring nailer will not work on 2X only 3/4".  Solution found with using 3" deck screws in the tounge. 

ScottA

QuoteMake sure of your rafter spacing.  Nothing will tick you off more if the sheeting does not break right on them.

I spent about an hour and a half this morning laying out the walls and ridge board before I put it up. Not sure how I managed it but the house somehow grew an inch longer than it was suposed to be. Maybe all the rain I'm not sure. Anyway I hope I have it worked out.

QuoteWow, you just started on the roof today?  I thought you were working alone?

Yep, I started at sunrise this morning and got to this point about 2:30 this afternoon. Had to quit and go do something else after that. Thought I was going to die putting that ridge board up. Took me a few minutes to get the courage up to stab it into the temporary holders. Rafters went up easy. Did those 6 in less than an hour.

glenn kangiser

Looks good, Scott.  Did the sheathing add the extra inch? ???

QuoteNo chemtrails today just bright blue sky.
>:(  You must have looked up. 

I was so ticked when I woke up this morning -camping out by a lake after prospecting until 2AM or so.

Here is our sky this morning - they did the x right above me..

One of the culprits.

These two raced and altered course to block the last remaining major patch of clear blue sky.

Even with photo evidence , people fail to or refuse believe that that is what is going on.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Made a bit more progress yesterday. The rain is back again today.

glenn kangiser

Starting to take shape well. :}

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CWhite

What a great looking cabin.  Your round window and porch tucked in there are features that really make it's appearance unique and inviting.  I look forward to seeing more innovative ideas that you will incorporate.
Christina

Redoverfarm

Scott taking on the shape of a house now.  Won't be long and you will be out of the weather.  If you are putting on metal roof are you going with sheeting or purlins? Looks like you could use your tractor bucket and a ladder to install. Might do the sheeting as well that way after the first 4 feet.

I will ask a silly question. Did you double the rafter on the next to last one?  Are you going to install a false rafter for a overhang?  Just curious I guess.

Sassy

Yes, it's taking shape nicely, Scott!  I really like the log columns & the round window  gives a really nice, unique look!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

QuoteI will ask a silly question. Did you double the rafter on the next to last one?  Are you going to install a false rafter for a overhang?  Just curious I guess.

It's going to be a dutch gable. Yes the rafter is actualy trippled with a double 2x10 collar tie for the ledger for the hip portion that will hang off the end. The gable roof will then extend out to the end with one more rafter sitting on the hip roof forming a recess for the window. The last rafter will be a double 2x4 the others are 2x6 . The roof gets sheathing and 30 year comp shingles. I got the first hip rafter up and the first dutch common this morning but it's too wet to work any more today. I'll get a picture soon as it clears up so you can see whats going on.

Redoverfarm

d* Now I remember where I read that. Couldn't recall and had no way to go back to check when I sent the reply.  Are you getting conventional 3 tabs or architect shingles. I have them on my house and they are worth the extra$.

ScottA

I haven't picked out the shingles yet but I'm leaning towards something nice.

glenn kangiser

Scott, you may not want to start with full blown shingles first.  How about a good case of the hives. hmm

ScottA

Damn now I'm all itchy.  [shocked]

Redoverfarm

If you really wanted to get sick then think about cedar shakes. Last price I heard was $270 a sq. And how many squares did you need?

ScottA

You are talking about the bargin shopper of all time Red. I've only got $3300 in this whole project so far. No way I'm paying $270 a sq. for shingles. BTW 10 sq. should do it.

Redoverfarm

I sort of figured that. Just wanted you to feel better after Glenn gave you those hives.  Just wondering if price was the reason for the shingles instead of metal.

ScottA

No not really. I could probly do metal for not much more than shingles. Personaly I don't care that much for the look of it and every body and his second cousin is using metal these days. To me shingles look more home like if that makes sense. If I wasn't so cheap I'd put slate or copper shingles.

ScottA

Took a new batch of pics today. Making progress on the roof framing. Got the temporary staging removed and all the nails pulled. Weather is still cold and gloomy but atleast it didn't rain today.  :P

Redoverfarm

Looks more like home each time I see the new pics.  Good job .

ScottA

Just about to finnish up the roof framing. Got most of the blocking done today and I'm hoping to start sheathing tomorrow weather permitting.

John Raabe

I think that sheltered porch tucked under the wrap around roof is going to look real classy.  :D [cool]
None of us are as smart as all of us.

mvk

Scott
I second what John said, I had commented on how great I thought your floor plan was and I think that you did a really great job on the roof also. Yeah Classy!
Congratulations Mike

Willy

Nice way your finishing your roof! Won't be hard to sheet it off now. How are you going to vent the upper area/roof? Mark

ScottA

QuoteNice way your finishing your roof! Won't be hard to sheet it off now. How are you going to vent the upper area/roof? Mark

Sealed cathedral ceiling (foam filled). No vents.

John Raabe

A full foamed in place insulation system for a cathedral ceiling is more expensive but it allows for much simpler framing and is very energy efficient.
None of us are as smart as all of us.