Need advice on cutting logs into boards

Started by gjkilgren, May 16, 2010, 04:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjkilgren

My local utility company cut down some nice trees on my property - too nice to cut up into firewood. I found a local sawmill that was willing to pick up and cut my logs into boards. But they need to know what dimensions to cut them into. I have a vague idea that it should make enough lumber to build a large shed/small barn - about three 40' truckloads of (roughly 12-30") logs. I have found plenty of plans for buildings on line but nothing like a bill of materials without paying first. I found one barn-building company that sells beams ranging from 6"x6" to 6"x12" in lengths from 8' to 24'...do I need timbers that large if I want to put up a barn?  Any advice would be appreciated so I can tell the sawmill operator what size boards to cut for me. Oh - the wood types I have are green ash, black locust, cottonwood, and black cherry.  Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

Sincerely, gjkilgren

n74tg

Wouldn't some of those woods, like the black cherry be more valuable for building furniture rather than a barn.  I say this because back in college when we used to build bonfires somebody donated a big pecan log, like 48" diameter and 30 feet long. 

Somebody who knew something about it called a furniture factory guy who came out and bought it, paying enough money to fully fund next years bonfire program. 

I don't know how valuable black cherry is, but wouldn't it be nice if it brought in some decent bucks, like maybe enough to build the whole barn.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Redoverfarm

I would have to concur with the other poster.  I am not that familar with cottonwood but the cherry could definitely be used for a better purpose.  The locust and ash are generally good for support members.  I think I would figure out a material list that is needed and have the logs cut to recoup the highest priced material needed leaving the lesser costing material to be bought. 

NM_Shooter

Cottonwood is no good structurally, nor as firewood.  But Black Cherry?  Oh my.   [cool]
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Cottonwood makes good beaver food.  ;D

As others stated Cherry is a furniture wood.

I'm not sure on the others, but being hardwoods they might be harder, more difficult, to work with as stick  framing, than pines and firs. As for what size do you need for a barn, that depends on the type of framing; conventional 2x stick framing or timber framing. If you want to go the timber frame route you'll need to find plans you like and take the sizes off them. Or talk to a friendly timber framer.

Ask the saw mill operator how much time before it must be sawn. Mayber he can find a buyer if you can't decide what sizes to cut to within the sawing time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

For furniture or siding 1x material is good as it can be done with board and batten on a side wall or glued up for furniture to keep from warping as bad.

If just siding  then a bit thinner such as 3/4 will go a bit farther.  Wavy edge siding I go as thin as 5/8, cut one edge straight and lap the wavy over the straight.

This was done using John's Little House Plans modified by me to post and beam.  http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/29.html

I have seen at least one project done with total hardwood.  While it is not common to do that, don't feel it can't be done just because no one does it much.  The pioneers used what they had.

Code or permits create other issues - I assume there are no requirements in that field.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Pine Cone

The first thing I would do is have someone scale the logs for you.  Log scaling estimates the timber volume by measuring the length and diameter.  Varies by species and other things.  The mill should do that for you for a small fee.

As a quick guess you have somewhere between 12 and 20 thousand board feet.  So how is that distributed by species?  The cottonwood would be similar to poplar,  not a structural wood, but maybe good for trim and interior work.  I would guess that ash would be good for almost any use.  I'd probably cut the cherry into mostly 1x or sell some of it to the mill and use that money to buy framing lumber.

If you want to use the wood for structural purposes you will probably need to have the wood graded at the mill.  Easy for them to do.

You certainly have enough wood for a good-sized structure.  A 1000 square foot house can be built with 6 thousand board feet.  You have enough wood to build one or more barns...

MartyM

All good advise so far.  :)

I would add that the locust is more rot resistant than the rest so it would make good sill plate. The cottonwood cut to 2x6 or 2x8 could make for a very solid second story flooring. 

Don_P

I'm looking at cottonwood structural numbers. You should be able to find that and get spans for dimensional (2x) lumber from the afpa span calculator.
edit, here it is;
http://tinyurl.com/2764phb

I've been clearing invasives and dying locust from a site here. I've been bucking the locust to 9' and 13' and sawing into 6x6 and 6x8. For our uses I think those will be good sizes for it. At least half our locust has heartrot. When I have a doty one open up on the saw I go ahead and make a 6x out of it and we use them for raised beds in the garden. No structural load, they last awhile and they just leave compost behind. I've been saving the locust side boards for some outdoor furniture, it makes good decking as well. You will be using a drill around locust.

Depending on the grade of the cherry it might be furniture or it might be just fine to use it for sheathing.

Powderpost beetles love ash. If it ends up unfinished, like in the frame, you'd need to borate treat it. I was dipping lumber till dark last night, the little buggers were having a party on some fresh lumber.