Interior "Log Wall"

Started by MountainDon, December 07, 2009, 10:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I saw an interesting interior wall treatment over the weekend. I did not have my camera with me  d* but I liked it so much I'll try to draw a word picture. This was a very good imitation o the appearance o a square log cabin with classic white chinking. It looked a lot like Redoverarm's Dogtrot At Hightop genuine old log style.

The guy had bought an incomplete large house with faux log exterior. The interior was mostly done in drywall and nor completed. He wanted a more traditional log building appearance and came up with an idea I have not seen before.

He used 2x8 pine planks. Using an electric hand planer he made the planks appear to be hand hewn logs. He used short strokes taking more off in some places than others. The planks were then secured to the studs using finish nails and the holes filled with a matching putty. The planks were installed with about a one inch space between them. The gaps were filled with a plaster mix. The wood finished with a warm yellow pine look poly finish. It looked quite good.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rocking23nf

Or you could buy pine log siding, which is what I have for my cabin. they are already cut for you, in 16' lengths.

I bought 100 16' boards for around 1500$ delivered.

Pritch

Funny you brought this up.  I just ran across this article on Do-It-Yourself where a guy covered up some damaged drywall with wood to look like hand-hewn square logs. 

http://www.doityourself.com/did-it-myself/fake-log-cabin

BEFORE                                                                                            AFTER
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

This is the exterior of our barn. I sawed the siding 5/4 thick. Removing the front shoe of the power planer and with the knives ground with rounded edges similar to a lipped adze I "chopped" into the wood with short arcing strokes. It is screwed from the inside, through the sheathing into the back of the siding. Being cheap and since I was experimenting, the chink joints were kept small.

MountainDon

Looks good and illustrates there is little new under the sun.   :)