Author Topic: OFF GRID POWER; various thoughts on...  (Read 316557 times)

Offline Mike 870

Re: OFF GRID POWER; various thoughts on...
« Reply #1375 on: December 22, 2016, 07:00:58 AM »
I don't have any intention to run a mini split or AC, but I'm enticed by tracking because of my experience with my smaller portable single panel system.  Being able to tilt my panel towards the sun at 8:30 AM in November and start getting juice was eye opening.  The difficult to quantify benefits of less severe discharge depths on batteries have to be pretty significant.

Offline flyingvan

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
    • flyingvan
« Reply #1376 on: December 23, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Central California Sierras- Home of Yosemite NP
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #1377 on: December 24, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »
The home built tracker I made...  Well, it did work,  but using junk materials caused it to be a bit untrustworthy.  Dave Sparks told me that with the low cost of panels now,  it makes more sense to just add panels in the direction you need to add power in,  such as morning or afternoon.  :) I  agree. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:08:00 AM by glenn kangiser »
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Offline Dave Sparks

• Offgrid Solar
    • Offgrid Solar
« Reply #1378 on: December 25, 2016, 02:39:39 PM »
Passive tracking like Glen spoke of (an east and west facing array) is an easy way to get long hours of power without using the battery and less time using the battery. This can really help if you have the loads. This is really for people living in a home full time who have cooling loads in summer and fortuanate enough to live in a place that they may not need a generator for winter. Unless your cabin is going to become a place where you live I would think that you are overthinking this. ::)

I have never liked the Zome Tracking system and always use Wattsun (Array technology). I am a dealer and get wholesale pricing for my clients. The Horizontal linear axis tracker I use holds about 4,500 watts of solar and I doubt anyone could build it themself and have reliability for decades.
Some large homes need two of these.  I hope this helps!
"we go where the power lines don't"

Offline Dave Sparks

• Offgrid Solar
    • Offgrid Solar
« Reply #1379 on: December 25, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
http://www.sunfolding.com/

Any info on these? I had sent e-mail to them 6 months ago and never heard back. Looks like Utilty tracking which can very rarely make sense for Offgrid costwise. When I saw Al Gore on their web page I thought that was why I never heard back. Maybe I was wrong......

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #1380 on: December 25, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
There is an installation using a bunch of these that I pass on the way to Los Alamos. It is interesting to see them at different times of the day and year. Every so often one of them loses track.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline flyingvan

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
    • flyingvan
« Reply #1381 on: December 25, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
No, no further info.  My sense is it's past the idea stage and got enough funding to be developed into a concept.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Offline Dave Sparks

• Offgrid Solar
    • Offgrid Solar
« Reply #1382 on: December 26, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »
When there is price and availability info, and an installation manual, then we can talk about field testing. The commercial/utility trackers are extremely reliable at this date and so half of the bragging on their website is not really accurate. If I hear anything I will let you know. If I can link this below it will show one of the 4,500 watttrackers I use. Delivered anywhere in the US continent for less than 3K$ and the same concept (HZLA) as the start-up you linked. They have been in Don's state since the early 80's. The link Don posted is not really how people do this anymore. I never used those Don because there was more to go wrong with a DA tracker. Anything outdoors with lightning can fail and Array Tek has been great with parts. I always say if a tracker fails, you have a fixed mount array until you fix it. None of mine have failed except a lightning strike that needed a new PCB.

The HZLA does not need the installer to use a ladder and in commercial apps a pile driver installs the mounting poles. The dual axis tracker does have a 40% harvest gain over the 25% for the HZLA. These harvests are for a grid-tie application. For offgrid it is the hours of additional power we care about because we rarely use all that is available. Once our battery is charged there is alot of unused energy left unused on the offgrid "table". This is often compensated for in winter d*

http://arraytechinc.com/duratrack-hzla-residential/