Prefab <200 sq ft cabin

Started by scottmach1, December 29, 2008, 01:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmach1

I've been dabbling with the notion of building a small ~16'x12' cabin on a small plateau on my lake property. I've surfed around on this sight a little bit and can tell there's a wealth of expertise in here. I'd like to ask those with this expertise what their opinions/suggestions would be for the feasibility of what I have in mind.
Cost: <$5,000
Use: 3 season, no bath.
Soil Type: Clay
Foundation: Concrete Block
Facilities: Portable camper style electric (plug-in) and water (hose).
Build Time-Line: On-site 1 week, prefab ??months

I've drawn up what I'd like to build but have no construction experience, but can follow directions and or suggestions.
I want to be able to build/assemble this cabin on-site in no more than one week's time as it will be a surprise for my Dad, and I don't think I can keep him away for more than a week at a time.
My thought is to prefab as much of the cabin as possible and assemble the pieces on-site.
I'd really like to incorporate a small loft for the grandkids to stay with Grandpa overnight now and then, plus it adds that cool dimension to the interior.
What I really don't like about my design as it stands is the billboard appearance of the front. With nothing but windows to break it up, I'm afraid it's going to be a big 16'x12' sail and not very appealing/inviting from the exterior. I'd like to incorporate a peak type roof, but that looks way more complex and time consuming to construct verses the straight, slope roof.
Again I have no construction experience and I imagine a lot of my design is flawed, which is why I've come here to ask for all of your help. Maybe someone's got an idea that might fit my criteria?
I ran across that <200 sg ft cabin project contest which is right in the wheelhouse of what I have in mind. The winning design of that contest is actually quite similar to my "Plan A". I couldn't find any detailed plans for it though. My "Plan B" is identical to plan A except that I've put a peak roof on to give it a little more curb appeal and to increase the loft entry headroom. "Plan C" is what I'd ideally like to build, it's got the perfect northwoods cabin charm, I'm sure my Dad would see that one as a dream come true for him, but I can't find any detailed plans for it either. The post says it's from Sheldon Designs, which I've now ordered their catalog in the hopes of finding the designs for this exact cabin. I'm sure it probably isn't something that can be pre-assembled and erected in a week's time though, like the two pole-shed designs of my Plan A and B. I also kind of like this plan... http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/1276631.html?page=2
as a possible base for the build.
I greatly appreciate any insight as to the feasibility of my plan/s.
Below are some basic drawings of my plans...

Bishopknight

Scott, I built my 12x16 off those exact plans. Check my sig link. It could be done "prefab" and brought in off site. The pieces would be quite heavy though and would require probably 2-4 guys to move them, especially the floor deck.

The one part that would have to be done onsite is sheathing/gable ends after the roof trusses are put up. If I had to do it again, I would buy the 24" metal truss bracers that most lumberyards sell for $2 a piece. 2 on each truss is all you need and it saves a ton of headache.

I have some great pics of another 12x16 cabin ( on my link ) that will give you some design inspirations as well.

I built mine for around $4,000

P.S: Buy only 2 types of nails 8d and 16d. Almost no one uses 10d or 12d. 8d is for sheathing, 16d for framing. I prefer the coated over the bright. I wish I bought the 50 lb box of each instead of the tons of 5lb boxes. You save a ton of $ buying 50 lbs at once.

P.S.P.S: Buy Lowes 10% off coupons from the internet / ebay.

diyfrank

w*

What year is your mach1?

The last picture posted is a sharp lookin cabin.
Home is where you make it

NM_Shooter

Consider the little house plans from the plans section of this site.

I think the toughest part is getting the piers into place.  Once that is done, you can really go to town. 

If you prefab the wall sections and have all pieces cut to size and ready to go, I would bet that you and two buddies could have it dried in within a week. 

Look to this site for help and inspiration.  you can definitely build it!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

scottmach1

Bishopknight, I discovered the PM plan on your post about your project, I might be tapping you regularly for info on my project, especially if I use the PM plan as my base.

difrank, My Mach1 is a 1969, 428cj, R code (shaker hood scoop), Special order paint, highly optioned, delivered to Texas originally. That cabin in the picture is REALLY what I'd like to build, but I don't know the likelihood of it being a modular build so that I can prefab it. I'll see once I get the Sheldon Designs plan for it.

NM_Shooter, thanks for the encouragement, as for the piers, I just plan on laying concrete slabs on grade as described for the PM shed, so provided I can prefab large sections of flooring, walls and roof (joists at least), I think this is doable.

If in fact I decide to embark upon this endeavor, I will post my efforts regularly on the Owner-Builder Projects forum.

MountainDon

scottmach1, In your first post you mention clay soil. In that last post you mention concrete slabs on grade.

That may be a poor combination. Clay expands and contracts with changes in moisture content. Given a perfect situation it would expand/shrink uniformly.  :)  That is probably not likely.  :(

My mountain property is well drained. I built an 8x8 shed last spring; foundation beams placed on top of concrete blocks on or slightly dug into the ground. Now that the ground has frozen thare has been a slight shifting; the door binds ever so slightly.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Yes without getting any footing below the frost line it will raise and lower itself year after year.  That is why most of the old log cabins developed bad sill logs.  The were laid on large corner stones and throughout the years they would freeze and thaw and sink.  Eventually they would end up close to the ground and rot.  I am not real sure who figured out the frost line thing but he probably saved alot of owners from trimming and shimming throughout the years. 

Don your should be an easy fix with a 20 ton jack and shims to bring it back level.  But keep it handy again for next year or the year after ;D 

MountainDon

I'm waiting for spring and we'll see what happens then.  :D  It's not a big deal at this point, but it beat digging more 36" deep holes (at the time at least)    ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

TROYL

I think this a great idea, i'm pre fabing my walls right now in my shop. it is going to be a 12x16 also with 10 foot walls. i called the department of transportation and they told me you can haul a 10 foot wide load down the road with a 25$ fax in permit. so my plan is to load them on the trailer and haul them over. my plan is to  dig the holes and set the posts on the first weekend and hopfully with some help from my family have the exterior basicly completed the next weekend minus the trim. I'm going to to have about 5000$ into a finished insulated shell. i have bought everthing at full price also though.  For 5k i'm getting cedar siding and a steel roof and 4 windows. I can be done cheep than that if different materails were used.