Roof sheathing and snow question

Started by sharbin, November 29, 2008, 01:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharbin

I would like to know whether it is the norm to leave the OSB sheathing installed unprotected on the roof for couple of days knowing that snow will accumulate on it before being able to cover it with the underlayment (I will using Deck-Armor). In the same token, is it ok to install the underlayment while the OSB sheathing is still wet from the snow.
I am asking this because the contrator that I hired will be installing the rest of the roof sheathing on Monday and then all of the underlayment on Tuesday knowing that in both days it will be snowing heavily (by the end of Monday/Tuesday we would have almost 2 feet of snow).
Any advise?

Thanks

Jochen

The norm? I' don't know, but I would guess it is pretty common. When I built my 1 1/2 story it was uncovered for a week or two. It did not snow but rained on it. When your snow is not wet I wouldn't worry much about that. I noticed no mildew or fungi growing between my OSB and roll roof, it was not 100% dry when covered with roll roof. I checked it 8 month later when I put on the final shingles and removed some of the roll roof.

Jochen

PEG688

Short term,  like you've discribed,  no problem. Happens all the time in snow country.

I remember a house we built back in 1975 or so , it snowed , we scrapped the foundations wall to set the plates , rolled the  joist , but didn't get to the sheathing. That night it snowed , we scrapped the joist tops to lay the deck , framed a few wall . That night it snowed , we scrapped the snow off the walls that didn't get tipped up , snowed the deck so we could stand the rest of the walls , that night it snowed , so we scrapped the wall plates so we could roll the rafter (yes rafters ,no trusses back then in R.I. ) ceiling joist and rafters where the norm.

That night guess what, IT SNOWED  ::), so we scrapped the rafter tops so we could sheath the roof.

So yes it happens , the sheathing will dry out once the roof is felted , or in your case  Deck-Armored. It that a  peel and stick / stick down product , if so that could be a issue, if the sheathing is wet and cold.

I haven't used that exact product.

But IF it stick  the wetness of the sheathing is a non -issue, IMO. How ever humble it may be , Eh Mtn D.  c*

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

sharbin

Thank you guys for the feedback.

The Deck-Armor is a breathable sysnthetic roof underlayment product, just as the Titantium-UDL30 used by some of our friends here, that allows you to leave it exposed to the weather for up to 6 months before putting the final cover (metal in my case).

sharbin

Ah.. an update on this. My contractor just informed me that it is too dangerous for him to put the underlayment (Deck-Armor) and wants to stop at that  :o eventhough he knew that it will be snowing all week long before starting the project  >:(

The problem is that I don't think that I will be able to hire anyone to go up there because the road does not get cleared from snow and is almost inaccessible, and obviously it would not be worthwhile for just couple of hundred of bucks.

When I told him about my concern that the sheathing (OSB) will be screwed if left uncovered, he said that I should not be worried because during winter here in Canada the temprature is way below freezing and as such it would not have any effect on the OSB. Is it true? Did anyone experience that?
Any suggestons? :-[

Thanks

rwanders

I'm in Alaska, so have very similar winter climate. Our experience with unprotected OSB overwintering is mixed---sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't. If there is any way you can get to the site before the spring thaw begins and get most of the snow off, you may improve your chances. It seems you can only keep your fingers crossed at this point. At worst, some of your OSB may swell too much (usually worst at edges) and have to be replaced. OSB sheathing on walls usually survives just fine.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

PEG688

Jeesh buy him a big blue tarp , or two small ones , one for each side . And TELL him to at least tarp it for you. He can use a 1x4's at the ridge  and a few running up the roof spaced out 4 or 5 feet and then tuck it up and around / under the eaves and use a few more strips to hold it against the side walls.

All winter covered in snow , IF IT NEVER thaws might work , but I bet unless your WAY UP North you still get some thawing going on.

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

sharbin

Tell me about it. The thing with this contractor is that he nags a lot and worse I have to be the weather watcher and push him to work on good weather days which he choses not to because of "prior commitments". And once it starts snowing he starts to nag about it. Ah... I needed to get this out  ::)

So would you think that covering the roof with tarp would do it (by the way I have 2 dormers on each side).

Thanks.

Quote from: PEG688 on December 03, 2008, 09:05:21 PM

Jeesh buy him a big blue tarp , or two small ones , one for each side . And TELL him to at least tarp it for you. He can use a 1x4's at the ridge  and a few running up the roof spaced out 4 or 5 feet and then tuck it up and around / under the eaves and use a few more strips to hold it against the side walls.

All winter covered in snow , IF IT NEVER thaws might work , but I bet unless your WAY UP North you still get some thawing going on.

G/L PEG

firefox

Harbor Freight has some heavy duty farm tarps 25' x 50' for $80.
I believe they have others that are larger, but that should give you a good solid protection.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824