1 1/2 story in Alaska with pictures

Started by sdextereo, June 01, 2008, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdextereo

Hello, I have been away for a while now. I have been working on a house in the almost bush of Alaska.
I started with a set of plans for the big enchilada, but decided it was not right for me, so I decided to use my carpentry skills and the tips from the forum to build a 1 1/2 story house measuring 24x32. I have finally finished the exterior framing and am getting ready to put a galvalum metal roof on.
I am new to this picture posting thing, so any advice would be appreciated.
It is summer here now and I will probably work on the interior during the winter.

Redoverfarm

sdextereo I found that Photobucket is the best approach for me with the photos. There was a tread made concerning how to use Photobucket in this forrum.  I am sure a search will find it for you. 

n74tg

Go to Forum News.  There is a bold face topic called "Photobucket, How To".  It will show you how to do all you need.

Looking forward to pics of your place. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

glenn kangiser

Photobucket has changed a few times but that should still get you going. Add pix there- copy the bottom IMG tag and paste it in your reply.  It will appear here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sdextereo

THanx for the help. I will attempt to paste some pictures now.

sdextereo

Wow it works.
well here I go.
This is late October I got my piers poured during the summer.
Our frost level is 5 feet most people like to dig 6 feet deep for extra insurance.
I went with a shallow frost protected insulated 10 piers with a redibase. my pier depth is 2.5 feet. I ran 2" xps blueboard under and beyond 4' for a total of 1008 square feet.

Here we are after  I got the deck on. It gets dark early at that time of year.

here is my big blue tarp covering every thing up so I can keep the snow and ice off. There is nothing worse than having to melt ice off of your deck to snap lines for your walls.

Here are my wall pics

Any how I will post more photos later.

Thanx for all the good ideas people.

sdextereo

Here are more pictures

MountainDon

Looking Good. Also looking cold. Makes me shiver... been in NM too long I guess.

I took the liberty of editing your posts. I added a line feed between image code and inserted a couple of missing square brackets    [   that were making a few images not appear. If you click on the "Modify" tab above a message of yours you can see what I mean by adding a line feed between image code lines. Just hit the Enter key a couple times between images. - MD
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sdextereo

Thanx for the help, it looks real good.

The thing about it up here is that its only cold when you quit moving.
There is lots of heat in them tools.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Looks good . Is that a brindle Blood hound?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

sdextereo

Yes, MountainDon those are paper birch. We have have paper birch, quacking aspen, cottonwood, and white spruce for trees here.
Birch is our best firewood.

Sassy

I really like birch trees.  Very nice work - looks cold but pretty country!  All the pix really give a good idea of what you have done, all the hard work.  How big is the place?  Looks pretty big.   [cool]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sdextereo

Thanx PEG688, "to answer your question about the dog", he is a Fila Brasileiro.
They are also known as Brazilian mastiffs.
He is 2.5 years old and about 130 pounds.
I live in bear country and I need a very alert dog to let me know who is around.

PEG688

I'll have to google that breed up looks interesting , and BIG!
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

sdextereo

Thank you Sassy. The place is 24'x32'. As you might have noticed the crawl space is 20x28 and I have a 2'cantilever around the entire perimeter. The crawlspace is about 6' tall the first floor is standard 8' feet and I used 12' studs for the balloon walls on the side walls, that creates 3'knee walls in the loft area.

MountainDon

Quote from: sdextereo on June 05, 2008, 11:04:06 PM
Yes, MountainDon those are paper birch. We have have paper birch, quacking aspen, cottonwood, and white spruce for trees here.
Birch is our best firewood.
I used to seek out stands of Birch when we lived back in Manitoba. Super firewood!!

sdextereo

yeah, MountainDon, it sure smells good when it burns too.
I bet it is similar to here, in Manitoba.

sdextereo

I have been working hard all summer at work and on the house.
I have some pictures of my progress.

IMG]https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/sdextereo/Picture1587.jpg[/IMG]

bobtheengineer

I was curious what size lumber you used for rafters?  Roof pitch?  Also what does the floor plan look like?  I'm trying to get something laid out, and the 20' wide doesn't seem to fit everything I want space for.  The 24' wide looks like a better option for me.
Thanks in advance, bob

Whitlock

Looks [cool]
Does the sun ever come out? Is your dog ever cold,He needs a coat.
I can tell you did most of the work yourself like me you are never in any of the pictures.

Thanks for sharing,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

harry51

Looks great! I'll bet that woodstove burns 24/7 now!
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Bishopknight

I know everyone recommends photobucket but its nowheres as good as google picasa for storing pictures and creating album galleries. Plus my work doesnt block picasa, they do block photobucket and flickr however.

Flickr is the worst because they only give you 3 albums and then make you pay for more. ( or atleast used to before I switched to picasa )

MountainDon

Quote from: Bishopknight on November 10, 2008, 04:59:10 PM
I know everyone recommends photobucket but its nowheres as good as google picasa for storing pictures and creating album galleries.

Could you elaborate... I recall looking at Picasa when it first came out and something bothered me about it. Don't recall what?  ???

As far as being accessible or not at a place of paid employment, I don't count that as a valid reason for using a web service. YMMV.