Should my rock flower bed match my brick house?

Started by Jared Drake, April 30, 2008, 01:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Drake

I tried searching this on Google, but couldn't find a quick answer so I thought I'd ask people here. I'm going to build a flower bed out of some kind of stone this year, maybe in the fall. Our brick is charcoal/burnt orange and the only thing I've found to match it is a shape of stone I don't like. However, I've found some stone that looks like dry stacked flagstone, but that's the problem. It looks like stone. It's gray and our house isn't. Would that make our house look tacky, or would it be acceptable since it has the natural color of stone? I don't want to do just what makes me happy, since I'm also thinking about curb appeal and resale value. If you were home buyers that would be happy living in town, would you want the lodgestone (http://lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=80082-215-80082&lpage=none) or the flagstone (http://www.pavestone.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,487/flypage,shop.flypage_walls/product_id,121/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,160/). FYI, the house is the same reddish color of the lodgestone.
Jared

mvk

Jared
I think the pavestone looks a lot better but very formal in the pictured applications also looks a lot more $. I think that it depends on the rest of the house. There are alot of brick house's that use stone in them not my favorite but they look good. There are also a lot of big fancy New England  brick houses with stone walls, planters etc. Can you throw up a picture or two of where you want the planters with the house in the background. You could use brick for planters no?

Mike

Homegrown Tomatoes

Personally, I like the gray ones better... my Grandma had her house built several years back when she moved into town.  It is reddish brick, but she used some of the whitish/gray scalloped edgers on her flower bed and it looks great.  But, the main reason it looks great is that the entire bed is full of roses, clematis, hydrangeas and azaleas of every color under the sun.  If you don't keep it blooming and full, doesn't matter what color rocks you use, it won't have a lot of curb appeal.

MountainDon

For my money, you don't need to match materials. They simply just have to compatible next to each other. There's some subjectivity to that, and that's hard to express in words (for me at least).

Lowe's will usually take returns if the goods are in same condition as bought. We have hauled lots of sample goods home over the years, stacked or laid them out in the area to be used in and taken it from there.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

BiggKidd

Jared,

This came from lowes and is in between the price of the two you picked out. You might want to think about it.

Click pic for full size.

Thats one of my more recent jobs with the blocks.

Its a good comprimise between style and PRICE$$$.

Just another idea.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

Jared Drake

What's the name of those style of blocks in the pictures? I like them better.
Jared

Sassy

I like the blocks you have, BiggKidd & I also like the pavers. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

BiggKidd

Quote from: Jared Drake on April 30, 2008, 10:19:42 PM
What's the name of those style of blocks in the pictures? I like them better.
Jared

Jared,

I looked on lowes site and didn't see them I don't remember exactly what the name was. I think it was chissled they had red and grey. Like 3.24 each. Memory is shot. d*

Sassy,

Thanks that was a job I did for a lady out in Woodlake. They were happy and tell me the neighbors all want something done but I have yet to hear from anyone.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry