Author Topic: Dogtrot at Hightop  (Read 424403 times)

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
  • Applachian Mtns, West Virginia
Re: Dogtrot at Hightop
« Reply #1300 on: September 16, 2016, 03:45:27 AM »
One more scratched off of my list.

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #1301 on: September 16, 2016, 06:23:51 AM »
 [cool] 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline ChuckinVa

« Reply #1302 on: September 17, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
Looks good John. Hope to see it in person soon !
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1303 on: September 17, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »
Yes it's long overdue.  Hoping to get up there the last of October.  Seems each year there is always something that delays the gathering.  Will let you know for sure later on.

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1304 on: October 02, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
Had a visitor last week.  This was the same week as the early Bear Season.  I would say that someone took his Mother and he is left to adapt.  Given his size I doubt that he will make it.

Oh here is some more that I forgot about from the last of July.  This years hatch

Online Don_P

• Journeyman
« Reply #1305 on: October 02, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »
I've seen 2 bear in the past 3 days, unusual for me. Lots of deer. Bow opened here this weekend for them. A young man got his first here yesterday evening and another this morning at a friends place. Of course I drove up to a small herd this evening under the same apple.

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1306 on: October 29, 2016, 04:57:01 AM »
Had a close call this past week.  Nothing that would affected the cabin thank goodness but never the less could have wiped out my trail camera and a couple new sheets of metal roofing.  A Bull pine (yellow or sap pine) decided that it had stood upright long enough and fell.  Barely missing a new trail camera by about 1 foot.  The limbs just missed a stack of new roofing panels by inches.  It was about 12-14" at the stump and about 50 feet in length.  Normally I salvage down trees for firewood but with this being pine and completely rotted to the heart I just dumped it over the hill.

Once I thought about it this might have been a real problem if the timing was such and wind direction could have made it fall upon an approaching vehicle up the driveway.  I was hoping the camera would have caught it as it fell but it didn't.   ???   Maybe because it was off to the side and fell directly toward the camera and it didn't catch the movement.

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1307 on: January 21, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »
Found this fellow checking out the cabin after I had winterized it around the 1st of December.  This evening was the first chance I had to check on the cabin since then.  My son says it appears to be around 200#.