Rehab of Lake Cabin in Alabama

Started by stricsm, November 08, 2011, 01:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stricsm

We bought this place 6 years ago and the first thing we did was close in the back deck and make it a sunroom using John's plans as a guide.  This old cabin is built on a slope and was built in stages.  The uppermost part was built first and the foundation for that part is an old trailer frame on posts/piers (low to ground).  We are closing in this part with dry stack natural rock.  Thought this approach might appeal to those using post/pier.  We hired a stone mason to do the job and he is truly an artist.  He bridged the distance from the ground to the wall using rock only; the distance was 18-24".  The rock is tied to the wall using brick ties.  He is also replacing our wooden front porch/deck with a flagstone patio.  Hopefully, I'm going to have enough funding for him to close in our bedroom (also post/pier) using concrete block/stucco.  Here are a few images of the work.

Image of front porch demo and old trailer frame.

Here's a view of the cabin from the water which shows the sunroom and attached deck (we added both)

Here's a view from our sunroom:

stricsm

The front porch has almost been replaced by a flagstone patio.  Still missing a few stones and grout.  Also, a stone step and a stone column base will be added.

Sassy

Beautiful rock work!  You won't have any problems with water in the flagstone patio?  You have some fantastic views of the lake - what a nice area!  Bet you get a lot of use out of the sunroom  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

stricsm

Water is a constant problem.  Half of the patio is under a roof.  The patio is sloped away from the cabin slightly and downhill slightly.  All of it will be sealed every five years.  The flagstone is set in a 3-4" wet concrete bed with wire mesh embedded.  Hopefully it will be stout but it will require a sealer.  The sunroom is the most used room in the house - we call it our treehouse room because that is what it feels like.

Gary O

Your sun room is great!
That's where I'd be...sippin' a beverage and staring out at the lake....lost in thought.
Nice
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

stricsm

The rock guy is done with the front.  Now I've got to skim the PT column with a painted tapered column, paint the flashing a matching color, and seal the patio.  As soon as the weather allows, the rock guy is moving to the side to put in block in place of post/piers on our bedroom area and then if the budget will allow he'll put dry stack over the block.  Still got wood flooring to install in the bedroom before spring - - maybe.

Bevis

Nice work.  That looks like a cabin I saw in Waterloo, AL.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

drainl

I love the patio!  Do you happen to know what the rock guy used for grout? 

stricsm

Don't know for sure about the grout.  He usually mixes everything himself.  I'll ask him the next time I see him.

stricsm

Finally got around to putting an awning over my basement door to try to keep the rain from saturating it.  Couldn't find any suitable awning brackets so I built these from 2X4 scraps.  Have to replace the flashing tomorrow; the metal company cut it too short.

stricsm

Awning complete.  I used Simpson stair brackets to attach to structure in addition to pocket screws.