Our 16x20 Post and Beam cabin

Started by Moni, October 27, 2011, 10:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moni

I might as well start out here with posting what we have been building for the last year (with a break from december to april due to snow)

more to come of the inside...

rick91351

First off welcome  w*

Your cabin is so cool!  Love it!

How did you wrestle the ridge log? 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

henderson

Moni

Hi Rick and thanks for the welcome!

I filmed the whole roof setup and put a video on youtube. Let me find it for you.
the whole roof system was built at my husbands work (he builds log homes) and then shipped to the site.

thanks Henderson! ;)

Moni

Moni

interior so far:

Ceiling and Gables:

Main floor:

drywalled and painted, which was my job. Well I had help with hanging the drywall...

and what I had envisioned for so long was finally reality. The deal was that I had to pre-stain all the boards for it. No problem! ;)

and we used the same boards for the window frames/trim. Pre-built them at home and slid them right into place

mogie01

Moni, absolutely gorgeous cabin!!  You must be over the moon to see your dream come true  [cool]

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Moni

aw thank you, thank you! We are absolutely thrilled with our little cabin and I can't wait to put some decorating touches on it. We've been collecting some stuff already, so hopefully I can start soon ;)

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

waggin

Your cabin is a work of art...I love it!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

OlJarhead

Very nice...like the ships ladder too  [cool]

Barry Broome

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Barry Broome

I'm curious... how much head space is there in the loft? I'm guessing six feet or so?  ???
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Moni

Thank you everyone!
yes, I think it's 6' under the ridge beam. Would have to ask my husband for exact measurements but it's something like that

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

astidham

What type of footing does the cabin have?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

TheWire

Awesome Cabin!  Love the mix of logs and more conventional materials.  [cool]

Squirl

I love it.

One of the better examples of decent sizing of the posts and beams.

How did you design it?  Did you run any load sizing calculations?

I noticed no headers on any of the windows, I assume the beams were designed for a 20 ft free span and the walls are completely non load bearing.  Very interesting.

What state are you in?

AdironDoc

Quote from: Squirl on October 28, 2011, 09:19:57 AM
I love it.

Agreed. Looks great! Saw a similar cabin nearby but they had used huge logs. The logs were so large that it turned out rather odd looking. You've chosen a good size looks wise and didn't overdo it.

SkagitDrifter

Wow!  Great Job Moni.  Beautiful, clean work- well done!
Where are you guys building?

Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

John Raabe

Handsome project with well-worked out details.

Thanks for sharing this.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Kris

AdironDoc

I like the log look of the downstairs. Can you tell me more about what you used, if you prepared it yourself, how thick the boards are, and what chinking material that is? I may go the same route. Looks awesome!

Doc

Moni

Quote from: Squirl on October 28, 2011, 09:19:57 AM
I love it.

How did you design it?  Did you run any load sizing calculations?

I noticed no headers on any of the windows, I assume the beams were designed for a 20 ft free span and the walls are completely non load bearing.  Very interesting.

What state are you in?

Hi again and thank you for the wonderful compliments.
yes, the walls are completely non load bearing. We used a plan from the company my husband works for (he builds log houses) here in British Columbia.

Quote from: AdironDoc on November 01, 2011, 10:22:48 PM
I like the log look of the downstairs. Can you tell me more about what you used, if you prepared it yourself, how thick the boards are, and what chinking material that is? I may go the same route. Looks awesome!

Doc
we took logs (Pine) and had them 'sliced' lengthwise into half inch thick slices at the mill at my husbands work. Pre-stained them here at home (I had to do it because I wanted to have this rustic look)  and nailed them up. The 'chinking' is the drywall that you see.