Flashing vents in metal roof

Started by Alan Gage, August 17, 2011, 08:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Gage

I ended up going with a metal panel roof (ag style) for my house and it should be here next week. So in the meantime I thought I should start reading up about installation and flashing. I'm not having a problem finding solutions for my metal chimney and the sewer vent but I'm having a heck of a time finding much information when it comes to kitchen and bath fan vents, or just a plain old roof vent. Been looking online and haven't found any real good answers.

There must be a simplish solution. Anyone got some ideas?

If I had to venting out the wall would be doable but I've got a 3' overhang and it's a single story house so unless I drop them way down the wall I worry about everything just getting sucked back into the soffit.  I would like to add a couple roof vents though since my ridge is only about 8' long.

Alan

twobritts

here is what you are looking for

http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/MidwestManufacturing/productDetail.do?groupId=2&lineId=152&productTypeId=40&productId=1169

They also come in high temp for insulated stove pipe
As for venting the roof that is usually done with a ridge vent.  There are several different styles from vented closure strips for under the ridge cap, to one piece vented ridge caps.

Alan Gage

Quote from: twobritts on August 17, 2011, 11:01:49 PM
here is what you are looking for

http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/MidwestManufacturing/productDetail.do?groupId=2&lineId=152&productTypeId=40&productId=1169

They also come in high temp for insulated stove pipe

Those are only for pipe penetrations aren't they? I believe I need something else for my kitchen and bath fan vents.

QuoteAs for venting the roof that is usually done with a ridge vent. 

Yes, and I will be using the ridge vent as well but with a hip roof I've only got 8' and would like to add some more venting.

Alan

twobritts

The boot flashing can be used on anything that it will fit over.  As for adding more venting I wouldn't want to cut any more holes in a metal roof than I had to.  I have seen the wind turbine roof vents used and flashed with the booot flashing.  Most of the low profile vents that are used on shingle roofs wouldn't hold up on steel where I am because of the sliding snow.  As far as the kitchen and bath fan outlets I would never vent those through a roof of any composition.  Sidewall or soffit penitrations are alot easier to keep sealed.

metolent

I used ones like twobritts pointed out for the plumbing vents.  Then for the bath fan vents I used metal ones.  I slit the metal roof above the bath vent penetration, slid the flat part of the metal bath fan vent under it, then screwed it down with a lot of caulking.  I lined all of my penetrations up between the ribs so I was able to screw it all down flat.  I don't know if it helps, but here's a pic:

beckhamk

metolent - you dont happen to have a pic of your house or cabin from the front with that blue metal roof do you?  I think that is really cool! Would love to see a pic of that.