Somebody STOP me!

Started by OlJarhead, August 10, 2011, 01:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

OK so I'm a nut, I'll admit it right up front:  Hi, my name is Erik and I am a nut.

Now that we have that out of the way let me tell you my latest insanity:  I can't find a decent tub at the Restore (Habitat for Humanity's store where they sell stuff really cheap that you can use at your cabin -- trust me, if you haven't gone to one and are building a cabin and don't want to spend new $$$ on stuff it's a worth while place to go to) and Craigs list doesn't list anything I want EXCEPT old claw foot tubs.

Now I didn't want to spend $150 on a tub but....but....but I love those damn things!  And being Cast Iron they will last another 50-100 years....and well, the 5 foot models would fit nicely in my 6 foot bathroom.....know what I mean?

So here I am perusing Craigs list now up to 200 miles from home looking at Claw Foot tubs...and some ($250-$350) are really nice with the shower surround etc etc....and then I realize I'm thinking of spending WAY more then I wanted to...clearly I'm losing it.

$15 is the typical price of a tub at the Restore (if they get one in and it's not sold before I arrive) but I've yet to see one with a left hand drain (which is what I need) and I haven't looked at new but it's possible to get a Claw Foot tub for $75-$300 on Craig's list...so someone please smack me, wake me up, stop me!

rwanders

:)
Go ahead---get your clawfoot tub. The couple hundred you may save will quickly be spent on something else---the pleasure you get from the tub will last forever.

Spend it now, Jar---haven't you been telling us the money is no good, almost worthless, now?  Next year it won't buy anything--isn't that what you believe?

Your Friend,  RW
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

OlJarhead

Quote from: rwanders on August 10, 2011, 02:20:17 PM
:)
Go ahead---get your clawfoot tub. The couple hundred you may save will quickly be spent on something else---the pleasure you get from the tub will last forever.

Spend it now, Jar---haven't you been telling us the money is no good, almost worthless, now?  Next year it won't buy anything--isn't that what you believe?

Your Friend,  RW

Well we do have FIAT money that isn't backed by anything...and inflation does appear to be on the rise....so yes, our money is likely to lose it's 'value' soon enough (it's lost 97% of it already since 1913)....but if I could find a $15 tub at the restore then I'd save the couple hundred I'm tempted to spend....

And besides, I'm also spending a LOT of time looking at old tractors -- man I'm losing it!

Before long I'll have sheep, goats, a cow, chickens, a tractor and be living on my 20 acres in the mountains off-grid....oh wait, that sounds pretty damn good :D  d* d* d*

Squirl

Go ahead.  I was told (after the fact) to spend good money on toilets and tubs.  The cheap ones have a cheap enamel coating which chips very easily.  I can attest to that out of experience.  I love claw foot tubs. They are just a real PITA to take a shower in or not get water everywhere. Or the shower curtain sticks to you the whole time. They just weren't designed for that.  At least not the old ones I used.  They are beautiful though.

davidj

Just blow the money and get one, and you can console yourself knowing that at least you're not in the SF East Bay were a clawfoot in reasonable condition is more like $500.  You can also be comforted in knowing that your not as stupid as us - we set our hearts on a clawfoot and then, at about the same time as we were doing that, built a 5ft bathroom!!  A used 57" clawfoot is about as common on craigslist as a pet unicorn needing adoption..

davidj

I'd also second the comment about buying good bathroom fixtures.  I've regretted various cheaper plumbing fixtures (esp. the American Standard stuff I've bought) but love my Kohler cast iron sink, Grohe thermostatic shower valve and Toto toilets.  All more than I wanted to pay, but all working well and looking good 5-10 years later.

bayview

A garden hose with a spray nozzle wouldn't set you back to much . . .     ;D

//
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

poppy

Come on, it's a cabin right?  What's with the fancy stuff?

dug

I think a couple hundred bucks for a good tub is money well spent. My only caution would be is that if you have to drive a long distance to look at one the pictures better be really sharp, and the seller honest. Once you start on a road trip like that you feel kind of committed and it sucks if what you see isn't quite what you expected, been there.  :(

OlJarhead

Quote from: dug on August 10, 2011, 06:52:48 PM
I think a couple hundred bucks for a good tub is money well spent. My only caution would be is that if you have to drive a long distance to look at one the pictures better be really sharp, and the seller honest. Once you start on a road trip like that you feel kind of committed and it sucks if what you see isn't quite what you expected, been there.  :(

I was thinking that myself but found several in Spokane (I guess they had a lot of houses built around the turn of the previous century).  So if we decide to go that route then we'll just plan to see a few before buying.

Don_P

Call around and find the price of re-enamelling one, about every one I've seen is in need. Look carefully at the legs and where those castings bolt to the tub, broken ears, cracks, etc.

Tickhill

Buy the claw foot tub OJ. Just don't think about the $ because you could have bought another solar panel and been hosing off with a garden hose!!!!
Buy the claw foot
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

firefox

OMG a Marine in a bath tub! We are doomed.  I say go for it
but like they said, inspect it very carefully. Once it chips it
starts going down hill fast.
good luck,
And yes, you are crazy. It's part of your MOS
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Gary O

As far as tubs go, the old fashioned claw foot tubs are hard to beat (IMO).
I'm a shower guy...hate to steep in my own juices so to speak, but we had this tub in a 100 yr old house we refurbed, and it laid you out just right...kept pouring new water cause I didn't really want to get out....
Thing is, the fittings of the older claw foot tubs are different than your usual modern tub. It least that's what I experienced.
Actually, that was our very first experience in that ol' house.
After downing the wine from the realtor (xmas eve, eve) the wife moseyed up the stairs and ran a bath.....minutes later the ceiling started raining, and the wife commenced shrieking.
I shut off the water to the tub and took the old fitting to Home Dopey. The retired plumber there tried to help, but no match. He said, "Claw foot?"
'Yup"
"Go to George Morlan, claw foot tubs have bastard fittings"
Not sure if that's the case for all, but it was ours.
My $.02
Gary O'
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

psammy

....just take a quick drive down Interstate 90 to Parma....

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mat/2529648071.html

OlJarhead

Quote from: psammy on August 11, 2011, 08:52:24 AM
....just take a quick drive down Interstate 90 to Parma....

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mat/2529648071.html

Nice price but the gas to go there and back would cost me more then buying a half dozen like that!

considerations

I agree....go for it...that way you are the one cleaning under it, not me.  :)

OlJarhead

Oy!

Told my wife what I was thinking, she TOTALLY wants the Claw Foot.  d*

Did more looking and found an original 100% complete and in good shape that is still in use and very nice with shower surround etc. and 60" which is what we need.

$300 complete with all fixtures.

She wants, I'll get.

Oh and Considerations, I'm a jarhead and don't mind cleaning  :)

Truth is, I like the idea of a tub that is deep and big enough to actually use while also having a shower.  Now to be honest, I'm not a fan of surround shower curtains either -- I'm kinda big and they suck -- but when you are talking about a cabin in the woods where you may only use the shower once or twice a month (unless you retire at the cabin but then I plan to build a second cabin for that anyway)....then this is a great idea:)  Not really any more expensive that putting in a cheapo HD unit with surround etc and it will last forever.

Also, the wife likes the idea of having a hot bath at the cabin in the winter after a day of burning slash and I can't say no to that! ;)

MikeC

If you're still looking, try Brown's bldg salvage in Spokane:

http://brownmaterials.com/yardproduct.php?pid=31

it's a fun place if you're into that kinda stuff

OlJarhead

Thought I'd posted in there but guess not...  ???

Here's what we got :)

Made in 1922, installed in a home made in 1909 and never moved!  Was in excellent condition.

All parts and pieces included even extra seals :)

rick91351

I think that post ended up on the cabin site.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.