20 x 30 one story two bedroom

Started by new land owner, January 05, 2017, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Has anyone tried to put a second bedroom in a 20 x 30 one floor cabin?  Looking for floor plans.  Thanks

CabinNick

I considered it and played around with floor plans a bit but ended up deciding with just a little more cost and effort I could use the 1.5 story and have 3 bedrooms and almost double the square footage. 

JohnC

Many years ago I owned a condo that was about 20x40 two bedroom, two bath. I wil try to sketch it out and post it in the near future. I too thought about the 1.5 story but just don't want to do stairs (I am almost 60). You can expand the 20x30 to 20x40 pretty easily, "just more of the same"(quoted elsewhere in this forum).

John

new land owner

How about this design?

I would move the hot water heater to a crawl space and put in a full bathtub.

ChugiakTinkerer

@NLO

That's not too far off from the floor plan of my first home.  It was about 24 x 28 so had a little more flexibility.  This kitchen seems too large for my taste, but it probably is intended to house a dining table too.  I had a crawlspace furnace like you suggest, and the utilities were in a kitchen pantry closet.  It had the water heater and electric service box, and instead of shelves I crammed a washer and dryer in there.  Worked great for a single guy.  I'd rework this floor plan by moving the interior wall towards the center, making the living and kitchen narrower but giving enough space to put a bigger closet in each bedroom and a tub in the bath.

My thinking is based on permanent occupancy.  For a weekend cabin this might work.  I would definitely move the water heater though, make it a compact one in the kitchen.  When you're dealing in space this small it will pay big dividends to think about how the space will be used and figure out where to make a few sacrifices in amenities to get more space.  I've never read the Not So Big House books by Sarah Susanka but that might be a great place to start.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

John Raabe

You might try including that 4' porch into a dining space. Maybe with a bay window?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ksBrandon

I really like this plan.  Having the stove in a central location is something that sure makes sense to me.  Someone commented about making the bedrooms bigger.  I have a computer desk in my smaller house and spend 80 percent of my time in the bedroom vs living room, so that suggestion would make sense for me.  If you expect to spend more time in the living room and only sleep in the bedroom, then I'd suggest keeping the living room as large as possible.

Looking good!