SIP

Started by Greenbank, March 16, 2005, 01:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befree(Guest)

see also nostiel.com  I, too, am looking at SIPs since the R-value is so high, and also think it will save on labor to erect frame/shell, since I have no experience in DIY and will need to hire help/framers.  I appreciate any feedback on SIPs.

SVDtiger

hi befree ,   have you decided yet as to the size of your sip house? i really think sips make a diy house at least cottage/cabin doable for us

where might you be building?  if its tennessee ill help you if you help me :)

we are wanting to be out of florida and heading somewhere in central tennessee.
info today about well and septic was good and not much more than here for costs. they have to go deeper up there but drill cost is less per foot on the well.  

please keep us posted on your build and progress...

firefox

Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

firefox

Oops,
Don't think this forum likes tab keys.
I have been looking into SIPs for some time now and
there are several solutions to your various needs. I say that,
because it depends on many factors, like budget, whether you will need permits,
whether you are building the house by yourself with possibly only your spouse to help you.

Check out the SIP talk forum and read back thru the many pages. There is a wealth of info
there. Some of it is a little skewed, so you need to read a lot to weed out the basic truths
from it all.

That being said, I am probably going to build with SIPs with the aid of my wife.
My current plan is to use SIPS made with metal frames on either side of EPS foam.
The frames are only connected together with some screws so that there is minimal
thermal bridging. ***This is important ***

The reason for choosing this format, is because these panels are very light, and can be handled
by two people very easily. There are quite a few other plusses like easy gauging for wire.
I will be using 6061 T-6 al sheets on both sides for simplicity and fire rating requirements.
The trick here if this is the way you go is to use a product from 3M  which is a VHB tape
Yes Tape, not screws or rivets. This stuff is just as strong and doesn't cause the metal to buckle
when it gets hot and expands. The other reason for using the tape is that it isolates the aluminum
from the steel. ***Very Important ***

Remember, Google is your friend. Search the net and look up the 3M VHB product and you will find an article that describes its use in making horse trailers and another putting aluminum decorative panels
in disney land  and major airports, and the sides of high rises.

That is all for now, gotta go.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Amocanes

I don't know about all SIPs manus., but some come with Romex holes already routed.  I intend to use SIPs for my DIY house.  You can do anything with a little knowledge and a good complement of tools.