Uplift, Wind and attaching a cabin to the ground

Started by Dberry, April 30, 2006, 10:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dberry

Hi all!

I've been looking at the foundations of some of the cabins and I'm wondering about how well they are tied to the ground.  I've seen mobile homes with metal straps tying them down, but it doesn't appear that many of the cabins are tied to the ground very well.  I was reading about one foundation that particularly well suits our plans with pavers over gravel in shallow holes but I have concerns about a high wind making the cabin act like a sail and moving it.

My question is how much wind can a typical cabin handle without special consideration?  Are there any simple solutions to tying a foundation to the ground after a cabin is constructed?  Is the only thing holding down most cabins the weight of the materials?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

peg_688

My question is how much wind can a typical cabin handle without special consideration?  

[size=12] Pretty broad question , height off the ground , location such a a bluff,(uplifting winds off said bluff) etc all would change that so , It Depends, more info about your situation would be required, IMO to answer .

[/size]  

Are there any simple solutions to tying a foundation to the ground after a cabin is constructed?

[size=12] Again not enought info, if your joist are tied to your beams and you could geta cable or chain over the beams then attach those to a dead man / sono tube filled with concrete  3 or 4 ' into the gound , easy , but again It Depends  on your situation .     [/size]

Is the only thing holding down most cabins the weight of the materials?

[size=12]MTL yes  ;D    [/size]  

Thanks in advance!
Dan

jraabe

If you are doing a standard concrete perimeter foundation (most of my plans) or the post and pier type foundation (Little House and some of the smaller houses) then the tie down is much more than the weight of the structure.

Double wall construction (all of my plans) has structural sheathing that is nailed all around the perimeter to the sill plate or beam. This goes a long way toward bracing and uplift protection and is almost free. Sill plates are bolted to the concrete and beams are strapped to the footers or piers.

In addition, any house plan that is submitted for permit will be reviewed by the inspector for bracing and uplift. If required, your plan will be reviewed by an engineer and they will add straps and hold-downs as needed to protect the structure from the loads your climate and location may possibly experience. This is relatively cheap insurance but not needed in most locations.

Do the basic connections mentioned above no matter where you are building. This will be much more protection than a standard mobile home installation would provide.

bil2054

Here's a link to a picture of a solution for ya:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/212062818/1171811081058182077efHAWZ
Since this little building was the location of the highest ever directly recorded wind speed, I guess the hold down system works O.K. [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

jraabe

That's a great image Billy Bob! and a proven solution!!

Wasn't it the movie version of "Shipping News" where they bolted the old house into the rock and one of the cables lets loose in a monster storm? Boiiiing...  :o

Dberry

I had no idea chains attached to the side of a building could be so attractive.   :)